[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Anyone Familiar with this guitar?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Anyone Familiar with this guitar?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by cms » Mon May 12, 2008 7:33 pm

This guitar was given to me by a very elderly lady who said she wanted to get rid of it. It was her husband, who didnt play, but he bought it at some time when he was a young teen. (she said somewhere between 14 and 18 years of age.) she is now in there mid to late 70's. so im guessing the guitar is about 50 years old or so.

I have searched the guitar for a single marking the would help me, and i found none. Not even the pickups have a brand or anything! The other information I can give is that they have lived in southern california for ever and bought in southern california.

It has an all brass nut, and all the saddles are pure brass. The pick ups sound amazing... and the guitar plays great, it just needs a refretting. it feels very nice, and looks great, especially for how old it is! I was told it was taken into a shop, not for a set-up but i beleive to get new pots and knobs. i guess the old ones where trashed.

cms

by simonm » Tue May 13, 2008 8:23 am

I don't know the make, but - sorry to disappoint you - this looks like a 1970s guitar to me - the brass nut, bridge humbucker on Strat shape, and mini toggle switches are all associated with that period, rather than the 1950s. The stripey look is also a 70s/80s cosmetic feature.

I would have the frets dressed rather than going all out for a refret - it's more expensive on a maple fretboard, and the frets don't look bad.
simonm

by Bassassin » Tue May 13, 2008 10:00 am

It's a hybrid, made from parts, in my opinion. The neck's from a 70s Strat copy - very probably Japanese; it features a large 70s style Fender-copy headstock, and a glued-on maple fretboard.

It also has truss adjustment at the head end, and we can see it has once had a truss rod cover - very common on Japanese Fender copies of this era. The screw spacing for the cover's quite wide, which suggests to me it's been the large chrome type trc which we commonly see on Maya/Rokkoman copies, and numerous rebrands.

The body's Strat-ish, but not quite, and the stripes are decorative - the body isn't laminated. I have seen these on early 80s Corts, made in Korea.

I think it's a project guitar assembled from a 70s Japanese neck & an 80s Korean body/hardware.

I think the lady who gave you this guitar is confused - she's maybe mixing it up with a different instrument - and if her husband bought this & never played it - it would be strange if it needed a re-fret.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by cms » Tue May 13, 2008 11:18 am

That might very well be the case. I believe that it is most likely from the 70's now that i look into it. Most likely she just got confused or was maybe just going crazy haha.

The guitar is in great shape and most of the frets are perfect and have almost no ware. but the first 3 frets are flattened towards the high e string. I dont know how it would have happened, maybe it fell or something because its not similar ware and tear.

Thanks for all the help guys! Great information
cms

by cheepaxes » Wed May 28, 2008 3:12 pm

cheepaxes

by sneakypete » Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 pm

sneakypete

by patrick is a stratocaster » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:43 am

Also, due to the fact that the burst also covers the forearm contour, it's probably got a plywood body.
I like those plastic rings on the single coil pickups. kind of a unique look.
patrick is a stratocaster

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts