[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Can anyone identify this guitar acquired from a relative

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Can anyone identify this guitar acquired from a relative

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by crazymunch » Tue May 20, 2008 2:34 am

Hi guys, first post here, after lurking for a while and reading heaps of threads,
I finally signed up because I'm trying to figure out what a guitar given to me by a relative is.

While helping an elderly uncle of mine clean out his garage, I came upon an old electric guitar in a greet tartan bag with no identification on it at all. He gave it to me and I took it completely apart looking for a brand or model number or something, but to no avail

Here are some photos: (Forgive my crappy camera)

I'm in Australia if that helps at all

Thanks for helping me out, this has been a dilemma for me for a while, and I'd love to solve the puzzle

Cheers,
Nick
crazymunch

by VintAxe » Tue May 20, 2008 10:39 am

Hi Nick,

I think your guitar was built by Kawai in the early 1970's. It appears to be their take on a Stratocaster which suggests it was built during a time when they were abandoning Japanese designs in favor of copying American guitars.

Here is a picture of your guitars older cousin:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by theehman » Tue May 20, 2008 1:25 pm

Actually, it looks more like a Fender Mustang copy.
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by crazymunch » Tue May 20, 2008 7:32 pm

Thanks for that, after googling around for kawais, I found a few pics of tesicos which look very similar to mine, perhaps it's a tesico?

Image Image

Although mine has a headstock identical to a few Kawais I've seen, the body shape and pickguard design seems quite like these Tesicos
crazymunch

by crazymunch » Tue May 20, 2008 7:41 pm

And on that note, I believe I may have found it

Identified as an 'ET-200 ‘69' this image is IDENTICAL to my guitar except it has the tremolo bar, which has obviously been removed from mine as there is still the socket for it at the bridge

I found the image on this website, not sure how reputable it is

Although on further googling, it seems that the ET-200 has a pointier body design...
crazymunch

by VintAxe » Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Hey crazymunch,

Good work to find your guitar but it is not a model ET-200. The picture on the right in your previous post is an ET-200.

In terms of the Teisco/Kawai thing, Kawai bought Teisco in 1967. I have talked about the takeover in this thread:

And Ron, you are right, it certainly shares more characteristics with a Mustang. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by theehman » Tue May 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts