[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Anyone does know this vintage guitar?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Anyone does know this vintage guitar?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by igorolla » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Please...help me! It would be about 1975.

igorolla

by sneakypete » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:38 am

that guitar has some gorgeous rosewood on the fretboard.
sneakypete

by Bassassin » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:52 am

This is an early - mid 70s Korean thing, from Samick, the same factory as Hondo. The little round inspection sticker on the back of the headstock seems to be unique to these.

Here's a link to a page from Lord Bizarre's excellent site - scroll right down to the bottom, and then go up 14 pics - you'll find three (2 guitars & a bass) from the same range, with different brand names:

http://rock.webbuilder.hostbasket.com/page15465.htm

"Truxa" will just be an importer's brand name, and not anything to do with the actual factory.

Looks like it's in great condition for its age. :D

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by VintAxe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 am

It may be built in Korea Jon, but it sure looks like they bought their hardware from a Teisco "Going Out of Business" sale. :lol:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by igorolla » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks for the info. :D
igorolla

by Bassassin » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:05 am

Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by Iamvintage » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Last edited by Iamvintage on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamvintage

by VintAxe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:24 pm

That's a good question Iamvintage. This SG copy certainly has some attractive selling points but also has features that really undermine value in my mind.

As pointed out by others on this thread, it appears to be a clean, unmolested example of this model. The "Ry Cooder" gold-foil pups are another attractive feature. I've seen these pups sell as high as $75 apiece on the bay.

To me, the biggest drag on value is the hardware. The fact that you cannot adjust intonation with that bridge is a huge issue if you want to use the guitar as a recording tool. Of course, I have a load of guitars with a bridge like this and occasionally one will have intonation that is pretty close, but that's the exception. If there is an intonation problem, the best you can do is try to find a bridge that is adjustable and will fit the existing posts.

Those tuners are iffy. Sometimes I've had tuners like these that stay in tune remarkably well, but more often, they are worn and tend to slip.

I guess my last issue is with early Korean production. Once builders moved production to Korea, it took a few years to get production standards up to snuff. Given that this is a fairly early Korean model, I'd want to give it a good look to check fit, alignment, etc.

I did a quick search of the bay to see if any similar examples have sold recently. I didn't find anything that I believe is really comparable, this fella with the changed tailpiece was as close as I could find. It sold for $99:

In another thread posted this morning, Big Beat makes the point that in 70's Korean guitars with DiMarzio's installed, the pickups are worth more than the guitar.

I think that could easily be the case here. I'd be surprised to see an SG like this sell for much over $200 which seems crazy when you potentially have $150 worth of pups on board. But, as is the case with many Teisco's, the parts sold seperately have more value than intact guitars.

Of course, I ask that you please keep this instrument together :D
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Iamvintage » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Would you consider 200/250$ a fair price for this charming old piece of wood?

Thanks dude 8)
Iamvintage

by igorolla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:23 am

igorolla

by Iamvintage » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 am

Iamvintage

by igorolla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:00 am

igorolla

by Iamvintage » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:08 am

Iamvintage

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts