[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - does anyone know about horugel electric guitars?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

does anyone know about horugel electric guitars?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by canwego » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:49 pm

My son has recently come across an electric guitar at my parents house. My dad played it in the 70's. I have been searching the internet and can't find much. Can any one tell me about this? It says made in korea. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks! I have pictures. I can e-mail them but I can't post them on here.
canwego

by VintAxe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:30 am

Hi canwego,

Did you see this other horugel thread on the Forum?

If you want to send your pictures to steve@vintaxe.com I'll upload them for you.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by VintAxe » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:21 am

Here are some pictures of the Horugel:

VintAxe
Site Admin

by wietse » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:00 am

that's a ugly guitar!!
but it's equiped with a teisco/kawai goldfoil pickup and those sound nice!
wietse

by Locht » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:08 am

This is my first post so - hello everyone!

I'm looking for any info about Horugel guitars - I've just bought one over internet (still waiting for it).
Take a look:

Thanks.
PS. Sorry for my english - still learning.

Maybe I shall be more specific:
1) how old can she be?
2) where produced?
Locht

by Spud1950 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:41 am

I Googled "Horugel" and found out that they were a German company. They sold mainly pianos with their name on them that were actually made by Samick in Korea.There's quite a few of them for sale on the net.I also found a few references on some other forums about some Horugel guitars and banjos stating that they too were made by Samick and branded as Horugel.
Spud1950

by Locht » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:05 am

Samick... from Korea? Maybe.
But i've read that it was in 80' - guitar looks more like 60's...

Locht

by lordbizarre » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 am

The few Horugels ( or Horuijel as I call them) I've seen were from different make : I saw a mid 60's one with 3 pu's and chromed pickguard that was probably made in Japan ; and two made in Korea ones ,a Horuijel EG302 ( the same as a Hondo EG302 )that I own in my collection ( http://www.lordbizarre.com ) and this Horuijel ( from Locht !!) EGI502 a mustang copy I saw already several times , both from mid 70's .
As I heard the piano company was located in the former DDR/GDR part of Germany so these Horuijels often surfaces in East-European country's ( that's of interest for Locht I suppose)
And since Horuijel did (guitar-)business with Samick/Korea it's no surprise Samick took over the piano company later on
The model number of the first guitar (Canwego )I don't know , sorry
ivan alias lordbizarre
lordbizarre's electric guitar & amp museum
electric guitar and amp repair & expertise
Wange,belgium,€pe
lordbizarre@skynet.be 0032495260531
http://www.lordbizarre.com
lordbizarre

by newey » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:20 pm

The redburst single pickup one, as posted above by Vint, has many similarities to a single pickup Norma I owned in 1970- see this Norma thread:

The one pictured in that thread, the two pickup version, has a trem. My single pickup version had the exact "half-shell" tailpiece and the same bridge as Vint's Horugel. Same headstock and tuners, same goldfoil pickup, same bar-style string retainer, zero fret. Same angular pickguard, too, but mine didn't have the flower filigree around the edges.

The body was similar in shape, but the horns were a bit different on my Norma, curved inward in a more "steer-horn" look- like the other photo in the Norma thread.

Obviously, both "Norma" and "Horugel" were distributor's names, not manufacturers, but I'd say that the source was the same and the time frame (late '60s-early '70s) was the same too.

This would fit with LordBizarre's note that Horugels were from different sources.
newey

by newey » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:55 pm

This looks to be identical to the picture posted by Vint, except it's a 2-pickupo version. It's branded as a Norma on Ebay:

newey

by DeMontGuitars.com » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:12 am

come on guys! this ones easy. norma=sorta right.
Made by Tombo in Japan -- they did also make Norma guitars. Some of the hardware (and pickups) were sourced from Teisco/Kawai

I didn't know Tombo made guitars under this name though. This was the lowest end model of theirs. Still not a bad guitar!
DeMontGuitars.com

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts