[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - I need help with identifying this guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

I need help with identifying this guitar

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by guitarist999 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:45 pm

guitarist999

by VintAxe » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Hey guitarist999,

It's really hard to see much in the pictures but from what I can tell your guitar was made in Japan in the mid 1960's. It doesn't look like the pickups are original but I can't see enough detail to say for sure.

If I had to guess, my first guess would be Kawai; my second guess would be Guyatone.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by guitarist999 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks for the help!

Though it looks like a Kawai it doesn't have the five-screw neckplate. In fact, and this is interesting, it only has a single screw for the bolt-on neck.

I agree that it looks Japanese.

The bridge is not original and I think that the original bridge was similar to certain Kawai guitars. A kind of string-through bridge.

I would be a little surprised if the pickups are not original since they look so unique. I would expect spare parts to look more like a typical Les Paul humbucker or likewise.

Anyway, are there any Japanese guitars that features a single screw to fit the neck?
guitarist999

by VintAxe » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:53 pm

The single bolt neck is good information, someone may recognize this as unique to a particular builder.

I honestly don't know about the pickups. The thing that looked strange to me is that they appear to be a combination of a single coil and humbucker at each position. I really just can't tell much from the photos so I probably shouldn't speculate.

I thought the bridge looked a bit strange, but I just couldn't tell for sure.

Hopefully, we have put a bit of life back in your thread and we'll find someone that knows more than us to straighten things out.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by guitarist999 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Forgive if I'm speaking of the obvious but a humbucker is essentially two singlecoils in one casing (though they are out of phase with eachother).

I'm guessing that the idea that there are visible magnetic poles for both coils in each humbucker threw you off? We are used to only seeing one set of magnets because they are also adjustable in height but once you pop off the PU cover you can always see two distinct coils put together.

Forgive if I'm talking down to you now.

Anyway, this guitar has two humbuckers.

Yeah, I'm hoping that someone knows more about the one bolt neck construction because that's certainly not common.
guitarist999

by VintAxe » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Honestly, I can't see much at all in the photos. I'm sure the info you provide will help someone else with an ID.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Spud1950

by wietse » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:00 am

wietse

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts