[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Kay bass?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Kay bass?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by 101Volts » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:52 am

I found this on eBay, I think it is a Kay bass because of the sticker/logo on the headstock but I have no idea what kind of a Kay bass it is. Could someone help me ID it? Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JAZZ-HARMON ... 240%3A1318
101Volts

by VintAxe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi 101Volts.

The bass is essentially a Kay model K5922 made between 1966-68.

I don't think this one was sold as a Kay. According to Kay catalogs, the Kay version was only produced in orange, white or blue. I'm not sure what that bit of logo (?) is on the headstock but it's not Kay.

Kay was supplying Silvertones and Airlines during this period so I have taken a look at these catalogs as well. I find nothing close to your guitar in the Sears catalogs although I don't have a full set. There is a bass in a Wards catalog that shares characteristics with yours but isn't a perfect match.

Here's what I see:

Kay K5922

1968 Airline:

As you can see, the body on your bass matches the K5922 except for the color, but the neck+tuners looks more like the Airline. So I'm confident you bass was made by Kay, but for a different distributor.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by 101Volts » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Thanks for the speedy response! I wasn't aware Kay supplied Airline with their guitars, I'll have to look out for those now. Another question while I'm here, I also saw Guitars with the names "Penncrest" and "Truetone" That looked like Kay guitars. Was Kay supplying these brands with their guitars as well?

P.S - I have to find out where to get paint that looks like the paint on the three guitars in the first picture you posted.
101Volts

by cheepaxes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Truetrone was definitely Kay, at least some of them were. Truetrone was a Western Auto brand instrument.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Murphguitarfan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:47 am

Did Kay ever make a guitar version of that bass?
Murphguitarfan

by VintAxe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey Murphguitarfan,

I've taken a look and I don't see any Kay guitars with a body style that matches the bass. Of course, you can get guitars with the same headstock, speed bump pups, etc but I don't see any that are the same body shape.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts