[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - New guitar in question (Answered)

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

New guitar in question (Answered)

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by 101Volts » Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 am

The seller said this guitar is a Multivox but it doesn't say that on the headstock, Or at least it doesn't look like it does. Any information of this guitar and or the company would be appreciated.

Pic:

It looks like someone copied some Rickenbacker, a Fender Jaguar and added the pickup selectors and pots in an odd way. It's kind of attractive though.

Original topic title: Unknown hollow body on ebay

Original topic:

I saw this guitar on ebay and the seller had no idea what it was (No, I'm not the seller) So I thought I'd ask here. All I know about it is that it is a hollow body with a Mosrite style headstock.

What in the world is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :middle:us
Last edited by 101Volts on Mon May 11, 2009 10:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
101Volts

by jeff mercer » Wed May 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Well, it's definately a copy of a Burns "Vibraslim", but beyond that..?

It's a great example of what I find so intriguing about a lot of early Japanese guitars..they'd offer copies of USA/European models that were never particularly successful for the original manufacturer ! ( Think Ibanez LP Recording models etc.)

Nice looking axe, though..
jeff mercer

by sneakypete » Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 pm

sneakypete

by 101Volts » Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep an eye for Burns and Tokai models now, I like the guitar's body shape. But now I would like to know about another guitar I have found on ebay. The seller says it is a Multivox but it doesn't say that on the headstock, Or at least it doesn't look like it does.

Pic:

Any information of this guitar and or the company would be appreciated. I will update the main topic with this post as well.
101Volts

by Spud1950 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Great looking guitar!The seller is correct. Go back to the auction and click to enlarge the pictures.It says "Premier" on the front of the headstock and there's a tag on the back of the headstock that clearly says it's a Multivox.

Here's a different model Multivox Premier.Appears to an older version,but the body style is very similar. Also a bit of info about the company.

Edit- Found out the info on the Silvertone site is not quite correct. The Peter Sorkin Music Company didn't manufacture anything.They were a distribution company. Premier was one of the brand names they used for the instruments, amps and other related items they sold. The Multivox company,which was located in New York, did the actual manufacturing of some of the Priemier branded guitars and amps. United Guitars of Jersey City,New Jersey was another manufacturer of Premier branded guitars. Some Premier acoustics were made by Harmony.
Last edited by Spud1950 on Sun May 10, 2009 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spud1950

by VintAxe » Sat May 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Yeah, it is a Premier. You can see their catalogs here:

Their asking price looks a bit excessive to me.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by 101Volts » Sun May 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks Spud1950 and VintAxe, (What speedy responses!) I have added "Premier" "United Guitars" and "Multivox" to my list of guitars to eventually try out. Thanks again! :D
101Volts

by Michael Ambrose » Mon May 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Buyer beware!!!

Just a heads-up... Sorkin/Multivox is a company the source whose guitars are somewhat shrouded in mystery...

A good chunk of them, especially their OUTSTANDING archtops, were made by United Guitars... but some guitars, i'm finding, were were built in Germany (particularly several I've found bearing the Strad-O-Lin brand name).

Furthermore... there is Sorkin's tie to the Domino brand, a line of the wackiest of the wacky guitars ... google yo'self a picture of a Domino, and compare the pups to the one in the Premier in the auction.

Now, i've owned two Premiers hollowbodies and a german-built Sorkin/Strad-O-Lin solidbody that closely resembled the guitar in the auction... but my solid had the old p90-esque big, bulky single coils that were on the jazzboxes... and i've never seen these with kill switches... and i'd recognize those tuning machines ANYWHERE.

I'd pinpoint this axe as coming from the tail end of Premier's existence, as it limped on towards the 70's... I'd venture to guess that like other struggling houses, Multivox probably first struck up a parts deal before fading into history.

soooo... looks too nice to be a frankie... but I'd hate to sump $1700 on a pair of Kawai pickups.
Michael Ambrose

by jeff mercer » Mon May 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Micheal has it right..the later Premier "scroll" solidbody guitars were made from a combination of imported parts, Japanese & European, like the model E-781 Custom that 110volts has posted a picture of..for the ultimate article on the whole Premier/Sorkin/Multivox saga, check out "Guitar Stories, Vol. 1 " by Micheal Wright, a must-have book for any lover of left-of-centre guitars ! 8)
jeff mercer

by Michael Ambrose » Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 pm

This gets even more interesting!!! Here I was thinking Germany, but check this out!!

Italy!!

http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/itali ... manza.html
Michael Ambrose

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts