[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Unknown archtop - can you ID it?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Unknown archtop - can you ID it?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by bliorg » Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 am

Hi, all -

First post here. I bought this archtop in 1986 as a project. Disassembled it, set it aside, and there it sat ever since. Recently rediscovered it; I can appreciate it much more now, and the wood is all very curly maple. Decided to put it back together, and upgrade parts that were missing.

Here's what I've got today:

I'd like to figure out who made this and when; only leads I have are "Japan" stamped on the original tremolo tailpiece, and the number 669 stamped under the bolt-on neck. It has the same general shape and features of Japanese imports of the '60s, but those rocker switches seem unique. Haven't been able to find anything else with them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
bliorg

by cheepaxes » Tue May 12, 2009 4:30 pm

Interesting guitar. I have no idea what it is. I agree rocker switches are very unique. Are those the original bridge and tailpiece?

-Scott
cheepaxes

by bliorg » Tue May 12, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks, Scott. No, the original tailpiece was a stamped chromed steel tremolo thing, and there was no bridge when I bought it. Also, the original tuners were white plastic with exposed gears. Have traded them out for some old Peaveys until I have funds for a better retrofit.

Got an even dozen coats of lacquer on the neck today. Will rub it out in another week or so. It's gleaming now, though. :D

Scott
bliorg

by VintAxe » Thu May 14, 2009 11:15 am

I don't know who made this instrument either Scott.

It offers some tantalizing hints of Teisco/Kawai origins but in many respects it is very different from anything I've seen Teisco/Kawai produce.

The guitar is clearly modeled on the EP series Teiscos. Here is a typical mid 1960's example:

As for similarities with the EP, the pickups in Scott's guitar were a type used by Kawai around 1967-68. However, they were used by other companies as well so nothing definitive here. Also the shape of the F holes are similar to the EP although their orientation on Scott's guitar is unusual. The EP photo shows the splayed orientation typical of Teisco/Kawai. Finally, the pickguard on Scott's guitar appears to made out of the same material as the EP.

The dissimilarities with the EPs are many. First is the basic body shape. The shoulders formed by the upper and lower bouts point straight forward. The 1965 EP pictured above also has forward pointing shoulders but later 60's EPs had shoulders oriented at slight angles as can be seen in the picture of my EP in the Guitar Gallery. The use of rocker switches on EPs isn't unusual, but to have 4 in a row as seen on Scott's guitar is very unusual; I've never seen anything like it. Other dissimilarities are too numerous to count.

It would help to see the original trem tailpiece. Can you post a picture. If not, check the EP pix I have posted on the site and see if you can find a trem that matches yours.

Definitely a mystery, can someone help us out?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by bliorg » Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Wow - great reply! Thanks for all the info. I agree - there's definitely some Teisco heritage there, but it's gotta be something else.

FWIW, the guitar is apart for finishing (gonna be dyed blue. Or purple. Ugh! :evil:) The hardware and electronics are all removed, so I can post some pics later tonight of the original tailpiece and miscellany. But, the tremolo doesn't match anything I've seen yet...

Thanks again for the help.
Scott
bliorg

by bliorg » Thu May 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Ok, here're some detail shots of parts, and a couple of the body (inside and a stamped number under the bolt-on neck):

There ya go. I'm guessing these are all typical of the manufacture done at the time in Japan, and won't be of any help in identifying the maker. Wish I knew what that number was for, though...

Scott
bliorg

by bliorg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Bumping this once more in hopes that someone might recognize it. It's a clear Fender Coronado rip-off; anyone have any ideas?

FWIW, here it is, post-rehab, in all its blue-splendored glory:
bliorg

by Spud1950 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Don't know what it is,but excellent job of refinishing.That color looks great.Beautiful!
Spud1950

by johnnyb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:36 pm

That color looks great. One observation. the neck looks a little bit aftermarket to me. like a reshaped strat style. looks a little more solid than a 60's mij type neck. And the grain looks like it could be an ad-on. I could be wrong though. does it seem original?
johnnyb

by bliorg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks, guys. :D

You know, I always kinda wondered about the neck. It doesn't fit as nice and tight as you'd expect, though the truss rod is accesible through a little relieved area in the top of the body. I guess that relief could've been carved after the fact. The shape is right for the whole Coronado look, but, yeah, it definitely could be aftermarket. It's a nice, fat neck, though.

So, to me, the main identifying thing on the guitar is the bank of rocker switches. Can't find anything else with 'em. Anyone seen something similar?
bliorg

by Spud1950 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm curious about the fretboard too. Looks like it was originally light in color,then dyed, some of which has worn off. The rest of the guitar looks so great I would seriously consider also refinishing the board in some way so it's one consistent color.
Spud1950

by Murphguitarfan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:32 am

Murphguitarfan

by bliorg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm

bliorg

by Murphguitarfan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Here is a similar guitar that the seller says is a 68 Kay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1968-Kay-Me ... 7C294%3A50
Murphguitarfan

by bliorg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:13 am

Murph, you're my new hero. :D

I've contacted the seller. I'm still not convinced it's a Kay (spent hours last night looking at old Kay archtops, and still can't find anything similar), but it's clearly the same manufacturer. I'm stoked!

Thanks for the lead.
Scott
bliorg

Next

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts