[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Marlin Blue Fin (Made in Wales ?)

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Marlin Blue Fin (Made in Wales ?)

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Aturach » Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 am

Picked this up off Craigslist a couple of weeks ago.
Anyone have any knowledge of the Marlin company or any stories to tell ?

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Aturach/Marlin/
Aturach

by Spud1950 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:02 am

Google'd "Marlin guitars. From the bits of available info,seems that Marlin was a brand name used by a distributor who imported and sold Asian made guitars in the U.K.This is a Marlin Masterclass .The description says:"Marlin Masterclass MMC-11
Built in Korea in 1988 and UK imported by British Music Strings. This is the upmarket original design guitar with Axcite rechargeable active circuit and is the actual guitar pictured in the Ultimate Guitar Book written by Tony Bacon and Paul Day."

This is a Marlin Slammer, described as being a very inexpensive guitar.

Marlin Sidewinder

From what I gather,it seems that the majority of the Marlin branded models were inexpensive,entry level guitars.
Spud1950

by Aturach » Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Hey Spud, thanks for the reply...

The Craigslist seller I bought this from said he bought this used in 1993 when he lived in England. He said his hobby and passion was playing and collecting guitars (I believe him, his knowledge of guitars was extensive). He too indicated that these were cheap entry level guitars. The body was made of plywood (laminated hardwood sounds better :? ). He also said that the pickups were crap sounding and it was very unusual to find one with the original pickups (like this one has) still in it. On the plus side, he said that when properly set up, the action on Marlins is outstanding. Also note the Floyd Rose knock off type of bridge and the double nut type of setup. (a standard nut and just behind it a locking nut which the lock caps on mine are missing). I also bought the older MIJ Fernandes SE and the Peavey "Genny" projects from him the same night for 10 bucks each (see picture).

I'm speculating that British Music Strings was the British equivalent to St. Lewis Music Co. (SLM) or Pacific Coast Music (PCM) which ushered in the tidal wave of Japanese and Korean made guitars here in the states back in the 70's and 80's.

Oh well, I need to get started on my long memorial day weekend but in the meantime, check out these 2 links:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... ing+V/10/1

And this (Read the entire sellers description, I do feel this guys pain

:cry: ) Note: I don't know what "Ralph" Marlins connection with these guitars is (if any) but this is a unique guitar...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ralph-Marlin-Loner- ... .m63.l1177

Thanks for your interest, I'll check back in a couple of days...

Aturach
Aturach

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts