[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - guitar identity crisis!!!

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

guitar identity crisis!!!

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by steevilweevil » Thu May 28, 2009 8:19 am

I recently bought this guitar under the wrong details, and I believe I've paid twice what it is actually worth!

If anyone can identify it I would be truly truly grateful. So far I've found out that it is a Kay guitar, and was made in the 80s or so.

Thanks in advance!

Image[/img]
steevilweevil

by Michael Ambrose » Thu May 28, 2009 8:41 am

In the 1980s, "Kay" was a brand name applied to, well lets face it, mostly junk guitars.

The guy, on the other hand, looks to be FAR from a junk guitar... neck-thru-body construction (NEVER seen that on a Kay-branded import), decent-looking hardware... hell you might want to pull those pups and see if they're actually Zebras.
Michael Ambrose

by steevilweevil » Thu May 28, 2009 8:48 am

It does seem like a lovely guitar, but I've found others online that have the Kay badge on the truss rod cover which was missing from this. They're being sold for about £130 - £180 I took it to get it set up and the guy in the shop told me it was not worth what I had paid for it at all. I've posted this same question in a few places, and there have been completely contrasting responses so far!
steevilweevil

by steevilweevil » Thu May 28, 2009 9:00 am

steevilweevil

by Michael Ambrose » Thu May 28, 2009 9:15 am

Michael Ambrose

by steevilweevil » Thu May 28, 2009 9:30 am

steevilweevil

by stevethebassist » Thu May 28, 2009 4:33 pm

stevethebassist

by steevilweevil » Thu May 28, 2009 4:39 pm

steevilweevil

by Bassassin » Sun May 31, 2009 10:22 am

Hi - this is a Cort, made in Korea in the early 80s. These were sold branded as Kay in the UK but appear all over the place with dozens of different names, including Targa, Austin, Lotus, Michigan - and even Cort!

These neckthrough Corts appear in a variety of different shapes, from the "Cort 45" travel guitar right up to a very opulent-looking 6/12 doubleneck, which must weigh a ton. All of them have the same neckthrough construction, and triple-dot brass inlays on the fretboard. Inside you'll find Korean-made "dp" logo full-size pots & wiring.

I'd say your guitar is the most common style - in fact I briefly owned the bass version, and it was a nicely-made & great-sounding bass - unfortunately mine had a twisted neck, otherwise it would have been a keeper. I'd certainly buy another if one came up at a realistic price.

There is loads of info about these on the - just search "Cort". The reason for this is that the styling & neckthrough construction leads many people to assume they were built by Mat - and indeed to try & pass them off as something they are not. I've seen a Flying V styled example sell on Ebay for rather more than you paid for yours - the seller was claiming it was a hand-made Jaydee V from the 80s. Disgraceful. :evil:

You did pay over the odds - but these are very nice guitars & do represent the Korean guitar industry starting to hit its stride with original(ish) designs, good quality hardware & a pretty high standard of manufacture.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by steevilweevil » Sun May 31, 2009 11:19 am

thanks Jon, someone actually directed me to that thread from the harmony central Post. I opened it up the other day and found the marks you've mentioned.

I guess on the basis that it is made by cort, I can't really say anything to the guy. He's overcharged me, but I paid it, so it's my mistake I guess! Still, it is a nice guitar indeed, I'm just going to have to put up with having paid so much, maybe next time I'll invest that money into some guitar books!

Thanks again, Jon, Steve, massive help!
steevilweevil

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts