[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Unknown Washburn

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Unknown Washburn

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by jsbguitar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:44 am

I have a Washburn guitar here that cannot be identified in terms of when it was made. Washburn can't recall when they made it and there are no serial numbers or anything . The dealer said it was very unusual for Washburn to put their logo in mother of pearl. Some say it looks painted, but I assure you it is not.

Does anyone know anything about this guitar?

jsbguitar

by VintAxe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Hmmmm.

The body looks to be from "The Force" series of 1982-83, but the headstock shape isn't even close. I've also never seen that style of script used in a Washburn logo.

Are you sure the neck is original?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Bassassin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:58 pm

Hmm - looks to me like a generic 70s style Strat copy, I would guess some of this sort of guitar was marketed under the Washburn brand before the better-known original designs of the late 70s/early 80s emerged.

It's not a Force - although they were Strat-derived, these had a very long top horn & more "slabby" styling. The guitarist in a band I was in back in the 80s had one - black with red binding!

Anyway, some more detailed pics of this might help with a factory ID - neckplates are a good clue, also any names or brands stamped on hardware or pickups.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by jsbguitar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:22 pm

This is a close up shot of the body. There isn't a serial number on the neck plate. However, it could be on the other side of it. The neck seems to be original. I know for a fact it does play smooth and has kind of a roadhouse vintage sound.

jsbguitar

by VintAxe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm joining up with Jon on this one. I couldn't see the upper horn very well in the first photo but your body shot clearly indicates an attempt at a Fender copy. I'm pretty sure it is pre 1978.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jsbguitar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:59 pm

I've asked a couple of other people about this and all said pre-1979. I was thinking around 72-75. I'm going to post a couple of more pics to see if any of this rings a bell.

I think I've bothered you guys enough over this. Thanks a lot gentlemen!

jsbguitar

by Bassassin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:17 pm

Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by jsbguitar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks for the insight! I relayed your information back to the guy a bought it from and he was real pleased. I'm going to put full value in your assessment!

There is still the mystery of Washburn creating their logo in mother of pearl and the lack of serial numbers; I'm thinking it was a simple prototype design.

The owner of the shop I bought it from thought it was funny how you had better knowledge of this than Washburn did. LOL
jsbguitar

by jsbguitar » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Just updating you guys on whats been going on with this thing. I recently got new tuning keys for it; they were almost impossible to find! Now I'm looking for new pick ups, but standard strat pups wont fit. These are a tad shorter. Any suggestions? I thought maybe Wilkinson might have what I need.
jsbguitar

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts