[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - bass of unknown origin

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

bass of unknown origin

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by theehman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Just got this bass yesterday and I'm a bit puzzled by it. I purchased it because of it's similarity to the Bartells I'm so fond of ().

There are some things that are what I would expect from a Bartell (zero fret, metal string spacer, truss rod cover, etc) but some details like the neck mounting and the pickups are unlike any other Bartell bass I've seen. I'm forced to consider one of 4 scenarios:
1) early prototype for Bartell w/possibly some changed parts
2) custom unit
3) Japanese copy (nothing points to this that I can see)
4) homemade copy (looks a little too well done in some areas)

Has anyone ever seen pickups like these? What's your best guess on this?

Link to album:
Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
theehman

by wietse » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:01 pm

love it!!

the pickups look like some dearmond models but that's al i can say, it has a lot things in common with the bartell's on that site, too much to be a coincidence.
did you already contacted the owner of that site?
wietse

by theehman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:04 pm

That's my site. There's a Lindert site in the works, too.
Ron Neely II
theehman

by Bassassin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 am

My first impression is that it's a modified/restored Bartell, where the owner has substituted or fabricated missing parts. Definitely not a Japanese copy.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by theehman » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:14 am

The more I look at it and compare it to my other Bartell basses, the more I'm inclined towards the early Bartell or custom Bartell. Guess I did good for $150. Just played it through a Bartell Mini Bass amp and it sounds great!
Ron Neely II
theehman

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts