The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

I have a Hi-flyer style bass, single pickup, headstock id?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by thecoolcoder » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:28 pm

This bass has no name on it and the neck plate is not original. The bass is 1960s (65-69) I feel. I saw a Moserite "The Ventures" single pickup bass like this but it does not have a Moserite headstock. Can anyone tell me what headstock this is? It may be a no name guitar. It is actually quite fabulous sounding. A keeper for sure. I'd love to put a logo on it if there is a legitimate one that should go with the guitar.

Please help, it is driving me nuts. I fear that it is a a no name brand. It would be so cool if it had a great name with a nice 60's logo.

If anyone can tell me the age better that would be nice. The single pickup is paper wrapped and looks very early. Sounds wonderful. Unbelievable even. I sheilded that pickguard and the cavity and cleaned the pots. It is perfectly quiet and hi fidelity. I am so suprised by this.

[/url]
thecoolcoder

by VintAxe » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Hey thecoolcoder.

I suspect your bass was built by Guyatone. Here is what I believe to be the guitar version of your bass:

Notice the similarity in headstock contour, not only the divot, but the sides as well. The truss rod covers also match.

When it comes to the body, we are looking at the same pick guard material and similarity in the top mounted pickups. I can't tell much about the edge routing on your bass since it is painted black but compare it to the example guitar as well.

Of course virtually all domestic Japanese companies built their version of the Mosrite due to the popularity of the Ventures in Japan, but I think the Guyatone best matches up with your bass.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by thecoolcoder » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes, this is it. Just elongated for the six string model shown. The routering aroun the edge is identical. The pickguard material I found tonite as a Moserite and Univox "Custom" option. It is also the single pickup variety. I think it is rare upon rare. Not saying that that makes it a more superb instrument, but is is most likley a 1968 - 1973 Guyatone single pickup hi flyer custom bass. I am comfortable enough with this to search out a Guyatone logo for the headstock. I just need to run down the year. I am unsire of when Guyatone would have made a copy like this, but the pickup is original, pots are late 1960s. Univox was making these copies with fake Moserite headstocks from 1968 to 1973 (or was it 1971, 1968 was definitely the Univox start date for the custom hi flyer bass model with that pickguard material.)

I am looking for a Guyatine headstock logo from that era and if the neck plates say Gauyatone, on of those too. Who made Guyatone? Where is a good place to look for vintage parts? Is Guyatone a good name or bad name?

So grateful!
thecoolcoder

by thecoolcoder » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:25 pm

This is it, except mine is black to natural dark finish sunburst. Single pickup and all.

Guitar
http://www.geocities.jp/ixiivii/guyatone-bass1.jpg

Heastock logo
http://www.geocities.jp/ixiivii/guyatone-bass2.jpg

You're good ;)
thecoolcoder

by thecoolcoder » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:26 pm

I wish I knew Japanese

http://www.geocities.jp/ixiivii/bass-garage.html

Actually, a japanese man sold it to me just last week.
thecoolcoder

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts