[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Can you ID my strange very thin Korean Les Paul

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Can you ID my strange very thin Korean Les Paul

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by jeng3000 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:23 pm

The moment I picked up this guitar I had to have it. It has an amazing sound and the action is super low even though this is clearly a bargain bin type of guitar in terms of materials used. The body is plywood and the surface finish is very thin and I think the burst is painted on. The sides are thicker finished but you can see the layers of plywood. This guitar is VERY thin. I'm talking probably even thinner than a Melody Maker. However, the neck pickup is to die for, I wish I knew what kind it was.

Heck I wish I knew what kind of guitar this is. Maybe some of you know what it is?

The bridge pickup is very very hot... and it looks like it was added later judging by the shoddy way the pickup mounting rings were added.

Notice how instead of a 3-way toggle, this guitar has 2 slide-switches! When have you ever seen that on a Les Paul copy?

Behind the headstock is a sticker that is partially rubbed off but I think it says "Made in Korea". On the neck heel backplate is a sticker that says "LP-55". I've searched all over, no luck.

I'm completely mystified. Any leads are greatly appreciated!

more photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/engelfoto/ ... 029830133/[/img]
--Jeff Engel
jeng3000

by cheepaxes » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:07 am

Not LP but SG. I've seen the slide switches on teisco made Kay and Kent SGs. The teisco stuff tends to be pretty thin. Perhaps that's what you have,though I've not seen a Teisco LP before.

Scott
cheepaxes

by jeng3000 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:06 am

--Jeff Engel
jeng3000

by cheepaxes » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:48 am

cheepaxes

by wietse » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:23 am

and those slide switches were also used by hondo, kawai and a lot of other brands.
this one is korean and the knobs and bridge are the same as on a hondo i own, so i suspect your guitar was made by samick in korea.
btw that bridge is terrible a molded peice of platemetal.
wietse

by elronnightshade » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Satellite 65/T
Wesley Graduate
Unmarked Strat Copy
3/4 size, home "electrified", acoustic
elronnightshade

by elronnightshade » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:57 pm

heres a pic to give you more help, also noticed that our bridges are exactly the same too

Satellite 65/T
Wesley Graduate
Unmarked Strat Copy
elronnightshade

by VintAxe » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi elronnightshade.

Just to be clear, I doubt Satellite made anything. My hunch is wietse is correct, the guitar was likely made by Samick and sold in the UK under the Satellite brandname. Given that Samick has been making the majority of entry level instruments in the world since the 1980's this attribution is a pretty safe bet.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by elronnightshade » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:24 pm

good point, i forgot about that
Satellite 65/T
Wesley Graduate
Unmarked Strat Copy
elronnightshade

by 101Volts » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:28 pm

I have a Global E70S (LP Copy) That has a few, maybe more, things in common with your guitar. It has a plywood body and a pickguard just like yours. I'm not saying your guitar is an E70S but they could have been built in the same factory. Does your guitar have a bolt on neck, a flat top, open geared tuners and is the neck pickup a single coil in humbucker casing? If you answered yes to all the questions our guitars have some things in common. Oh, And if the neck is a bolt on does it have a model number on it?
101Volts

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts