[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What the Hell is this thing?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What the Hell is this thing?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by MasterShake2003 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Hey all,

So, I've had this guitar in the back of my closet for over ten years and I finally have some money to fix it up. The thing is thrashed, but still salvageable. Problem is, I have no idea where to begin buying parts as I don't know what the hell it is.

I can only look into the f-holes and I don't see any labels or marks of any kind. The nameplate is missing that was once on the headstock. The back neckplate says only "REINFORCED STEEL NECK Made in Japan"

I believe it is a pre-1970 Ibanez Hollowbody, but I'm not sure and thought that some of you afficianados might have some answers for me. Here;s a pic:

Any help you all could give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
MasterShake2003

by Michael Ambrose » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Well, thats definitely an Ibanez "I" on the tremolo...

...but DeArmonds???

I call frankenstein on this.
Michael Ambrose

by MasterShake2003 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:03 pm

This is the closest I've come to finding it online, and this is a sixties Ibanez

Researching guitars online is like an exercise in torture. Just when you think you've got it, nope, not it. :D

I just don't know how much it would take to get the thing playing again, the neck needs some work, it needs a bridge and output jack and trem handle...not even sure if the pickups work...I want to get it going, but I can't see spending thousands on it if it's a frankenstien-ed guitar.
MasterShake2003

by cheepaxes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:23 am

Michael, those look a little like DeArmonds to me but I'm not convinced they are. I would think it would be possible to get that guitar up and running for under $100 assuming the parts it has are in reasonable working order and you're not going for an exact restoration. And assuming you do the work yourself.

Scott
cheepaxes

by Spud1950 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 am

I'm pretty sure this is it. Ibanez Model 480, made from 1965 -1966.

The pickups appear to be original, but I too don't think they're DeArmonds. Probably,like the guitar itself, of Japanese origin.

Here's a real good site dedicated to early Ibanez guitars.

Spud1950

by MasterShake2003 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:26 pm

That's gotta be it...now if I can just find the parts...

You all have any prefered online sources to look for parts?
MasterShake2003

by Spud1950 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:27 pm

You're missing the the arm and clamp assembly and the tension spring for the Bigsby tail piece. You will not be able to put strings on it without those parts.If you want to keep the Bigsby,you will need to get this.Lots of places sell the arms and springs,but this is the only place I know of that also sells the clamp.The unit clamps on to the protruding end of the bar and the spring goes under the clamp and sits on that round indentation on the base of the tailpiece. Might seem a bit expensive,but an entire new Bisgby unit like that cost around $120 -$150.

The bridge is easily replaceable. Just replace the whole thing,including the base.Guitar Fetish has a nice roller bridge. This type of bridge goes real well with the Bigsby vibrato. They also have the output jack in the electronics section.

First thing to do is to determine if the pickups and other electronics are working.
Spud1950

by Bassassin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Go here:

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/

Or specifically:

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/5 ... 60s-world/

Wouldn't be remotely surprised if someone there doesn't have the parts you need in their spares box. They can probably tell you loads about your particular guitar too.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by MasterShake2003 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:29 pm

You guys totally rock.

Now I just need to find a pickguard and Name plate...a tuning key and I'm set.

One more question, would you touch up the finish? Refinish? Repaint?
MasterShake2003

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:40 pm

I say never touch up unless you are preventing a finish problem from getting worse. Touching up dings and chips is like putting make up on Grandma; it just doesn't seem honest. If you're old, you probably have some dings and chips; own up to it and move forward. Personally, I've never seen a guitar appreciate in value with restoration work unless it improved playability.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by JLHooker » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 pm

I have an old guitar indentical to the picture that Spud 1950 posted.I bought it used in 1969 for $75.I has the name Ralston on the headstock.The plate on the back says made in Japan.I have been told that it was made by Ibanez.The pickups are identical to ones in Spud's picture and are original.It's still playable.I started to rebuild it but I remebered that I don't like the narrow neck and so I didn't want to sink any money in it.
JLHooker

by Bassassin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:05 am

It won't be made for Ibanez, but is likely from the same factory. Ibanez is only a brand name, and as a result the same guitars turn up with other, unconnected names, particularly 60s & early 70s instruments.

J.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by devnulljp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:20 am

Hmmm... here's a very similar looking 1963 Kay Jazz II (although that I is a dead giveaway for Ibanez) -- not mine unfortunately

Canada: we put the “u” in satire.
devnulljp

by DeMontGuitars.com » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:45 am

DeMontGuitars.com

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts