[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What is this Bass?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What is this Bass?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by 101Volts » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:26 pm

The headstock is Gibson style, It has a Telecaster style switch plate and it looks like the bridge/tailpiece is strange. It looks like there is a Mosrite style carve in the headstock as seen at 0:07.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXhY1GX5 ... ted&fmt=22

Also, I thought for a bit the bass in this other video was the same one but it has a different headstock, different bridge, Etc. I don't know but if the bass in question can't be identified perhaps Colin modified his Basses? (Unlikely)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yiknQ9xyJk
101Volts

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Looking at the body, the very first thing that comes to mind is a Reverend... but I've no idea what (if anything) reverend was doing in the 80's.

DEFINITELY not a Mosrite neck... Never seen a Mos with anything other than a Rosewood FB... and never with a flat, squared off head like that...

Could be just a gutted P-bass...
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Strike that... its probably a Wal.
Michael Ambrose

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Michael Ambrose

by 101Volts » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:45 pm

Looks like it, Thanks. That's one of the strangest looking basses I've ever seen, I thought perhaps it was a Univox at first because I know about all of Mosrite's models, They didn't make that many basses and when they did they were always based on guitar models. By the way, Mosrite did make guitars with maple fretboards for their 1988/1989 models. Thanks again, Michael.
101Volts

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:44 pm

you know, i always forget about those late 80's models... I'm a huge mosrite nerd, but those late 80's models just won't stick in my brain.
Michael Ambrose

by devnulljp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:23 am

The first one's not a Wal -- it's most likely a (Or maybe a Hayman, they're related but my money would be on a Shergold -- they were very popular in the UK in the 70s).

Canada: we put the “u” in satire.
devnulljp

by Bassassin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:59 pm

First one's a Hayman 4040, like this:

In the clip, it's clearly visible at about 55 seconds - you can see the chrome hardware & twin split pups.

Looks a lot like a good old Fender Mustang in the second clip:

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by 101Volts » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks a lot Jon, That's definitely it. These sure are some odd looking basses.

Austin
101Volts

by devnulljp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Canada: we put the “u” in satire.
devnulljp

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts