[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - OK, I know it's a Memphis...

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

OK, I know it's a Memphis...

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by StraySinger » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm

...and I know Memphis used to be a sub-company of Yamaha in the 1970s to mid-1980s, until Gibson sued them out of existence. I *think* they were made somewhere in Asia, but I'm not completely sure on that count, so...

I'm looking for a date and model number on this rather nice-looking, if slightly beat-up Memphis guitar I picked up second-hand for my daughter:

Here is a shot of the original gear box. I have replaced it, for obvious reasons:

Here's the main body:

A closeup of the tailpiece and bridge:

The headstock (with new pegs):

Any ideas? The headstock shot is closest to the actual color; it's a cream-white, a few shades darker than that shot. #!@$!%^$&$ flash!
StraySinger

by Spud1950 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:32 am

I have no doubt it's Asian made and as Memphis was indeed a sub brand of Yamaha, it's probably a safe bet to say it was made in Japan,same as the Yamaha guitars of the same era. I looked at the two Memphis catalogs in the VintAxe collection, but there's no model such as yours,only the way more common straight up Fender and Gibson clones. Not that it helps,but I did run across a picture of another Memphis just like yours except for the color,but no further info as to model or a more exact date.
Spud1950

by StraySinger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 am

What's your source on Memphis / Yamaha? I'm seeing people try to debunk that over on another board.
StraySinger

by StraySinger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 am

@Spud1950 ...and actually, the pic does help. Where did you say you found it again? (A link would be nice!)
StraySinger

by Bassassin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 pm

That's a Korean guitar, probably low-end from Cort.

I've never heard the suggestion of Memphis being a Yamaha sub-brand before, I've always just assumed it was a US importer's own brand. Where does this info come from & why would Gibson sue them? They didn't even actually sue Ibanez!

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by Spud1950 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Spud1950

by Bassassin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by wilburphilly1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:13 pm

I have had some experience with very bad Memphis brand guitars as well as some VERY GOOD ones that were obviously made with quality in mind.

I owned one that was an exact copy of an Ibanez "Custom Agent" with a setneck, F5 style headstock and mother of pearl inlays on the body as well as banjo style inlays on the neck. The guitar was absolutely gorgeous and a great player. It sold for $750.00 around 8 years ago. I was sorry later as usual.

Another good one I owned was a Les Paul Custom copy with the open book headstock, setneck, multi-layered binding, real mother of pearl sail inlays on the headstock as well as mother of pearl block inlays on the fretboard and factory Gotoh tuners that were identicle to the "Star" tuners Ibanez was using in the 70's. It weighed 9 lbs and the neck was very straight with nice low action and no buzzes. That one sold at a guitar show 10 years ago for $600.00. It didn't last more than 3 hrs.

I have also seen the other extreme where the guitars were absolute low budget garbage and I was upset at paying $150.00 for it when I got it. I guess it depends on the model year and where it was made.

I would not be surprised to find out these guitars were manufactured at many different plants at different times due to economics and marketing. One thing for sure, Don't judge that open book by the name....each guitar needs to be examined based on it's own merits regardless of what's on the headstock.

Bob :wink:
Wilbur
wilburphilly1

by wilburphilly1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:24 pm

I just took a look at the Memphis 1977 Catalog and the F300 is very much like the one I sold only without the "flower pot" inlay on the headstock and without the M.O.P. inlays on the body.

That catalog also show what appears to be a very impressive L5 copy that I would love to check out in person if anyone has one available!

Bob
Wilbur
wilburphilly1

by wilburphilly1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:55 am

I take back my statement about wanting the Memphis L5 copy...at least not for this much :!: ....Sure looks nice though!

Ebay~

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-Memphis-Matsum ... 5ad6921b01
Wilbur
wilburphilly1

by wietse » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:40 pm

what a moron!!
calling it a lawsuit while it has no open book headstock!
wietse

by DeMontGuitars.com » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:29 pm

DeMontGuitars.com

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts