[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Help with Old Kustom Electric please..

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Help with Old Kustom Electric please..

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by buzz3953 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:58 am

I have an opportunity to buy an Old Craftsman. I believe it was actually made by Spiegel but unsure of model and date or the possible value. I don't believe any hardware except for pickups and electronics are original. Any information would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Aaron

I really don't know how to work the HTML code to set up my pics but they are here

http://picasaweb.google.com/asfraser/Ol ... 6000664210

http://picasaweb.google.com/asfraser/Ol ... 6378866418

http://picasaweb.google.com/asfraser/Ol ... 7081435282

http://picasaweb.google.com/asfraser/Ol ... 7535532114

http://picasaweb.google.com/asfraser/Ol ... 0379845506

http://picasaweb.google.com/asfraser/Ol ... 1868376594
buzz3953

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Thats a Kay-made K300. First offered in 1962, no idea exactly when your piece was made. I'm restoring one right now. You'll find the same piece with several different brand names (the names vary depending on the department through which it was sold). I think Old Kraftsman might have been Spiegel... i can never keep them straight.

Bridge, tailpiece, and tuners are mods. Probably the pickguard, too... never seen one in black.
Michael Ambrose

by buzz3953 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Any idea what the value might be? I guess in other words what would you be willing to pay if you were interested for example because if I were to buy it would be to resell.

Thanks,

Aaron
buzz3953

by Michael Ambrose » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Kays are always tough to say. Collectors don't want them, players can't afford the nice ones. They're pretty much worth as much as the nuttiest collector is willing to pay for them. Modded as such and missing the original bridge cover, no idea.
Michael Ambrose

by cheepaxes » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:15 pm

One might argue that the replaced parts are an improvement. I don't know. I agree with Michael that it's hard to put a price on it with those changes. It's a pretty guitar. Probably plays and sounds OK assuming the pickups work. I would guess somewhere between $250 - $400.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Here's the actual Kay version. The neck is quite a bit more fancy.

The Vintage Guitar price guide book on line puts a value of $500 - $600 in excellent original condition. Even if this one were in excellent,original condition,it wouldn't be worth as much because of the plainer neck and the fact that it isn't actually branded as a Kay.To me, the mods are definitely an improvement as far as playability, but from a collectible stand point,they do devalue the guitar. Also,from the closeups,I would rate it in fair condition,cosmetically. If everything worked properly and it plays well, I wouldn't want to pay anymore the $350 at the most for it.
Spud1950

by johnnyb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:45 am

it also looks like the pickguard was replaced. i can see the lines where the old one was. the new bridge kills the value, if you ask me. those are holes that can never be fixed. hopefully the guy put it on right. i had the misfortune of buying a guitar that was "upgraded" with a jaguar type bridge. he put it on too short and a bit to the side. not to mention the newer bridges are too wide for a lot of the old mij guitars. it can never be intonated properly and is off the side of the neck. his "upgrade" destroyed the guitar.
johnnyb

by Spud1950 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am

Spud1950

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts