[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Mako guitars: MIJ, MIK, or both?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Mako guitars: MIJ, MIK, or both?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by alanwcollins » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Can anyone verify that early Makos were made in Japan? I've seen that theory speculated in 2003 and repeated since, but that was a guess. The only thing I know for sure is that later Makos were a budget line made in Korea. Another misconception is that you can distinguish the better Makos as having Grover tuners, but according to a 1980 Mako catalog, Grover tuners were an option available on any of their guitars (except the TB1&2). I have two Makos that are nicely made, and three that are clunkers. I'm trying to accumulate S/N info, but not yet enough to see any patterns. If you have S/N or other info, please send me some pics. I'll gladly share what I know. Comments welcomed. Regards, Al

alanwcollins at gmail dot com

Mako catalogs here http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_japanese_mako.htm
alanwcollins

by DeMontGuitars.com » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:12 pm

unfortunately I have never been able to hold a Mako myself. though i've tried to own one several times. Actually the only ones i have ever come across were Made in Japan., but that fact is just stuck in the back of my head and i suppose as far as proof I have none.
DeMontGuitars.com

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts