[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - What Is This SG Guitar?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What Is This SG Guitar?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Mason Jarre » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:17 pm

I've been trying to determine the specific model of this Gibson guitar, which I assume is an SG. I haven't seen one with this pickup and controls configuration.

Mason Jarre

by Spud1950 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:27 pm

If that's an actual Gibson and not some sort of knockoff,what you have is or maybe I should say was an SG Junior. I say was because it has been modified and has very little of it's original attributes left.

The tuners,pickguard, bridge and control plate are not original. I also suspect it was refinished. I believe I can see a serial number pressed into back of the headstock. Could you post it?
Spud1950

by Mason Jarre » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:05 pm

Thanks.

The serial number is 682186. It is pressed into the back of the headstock along with "Made In USA".
Mason Jarre

by Spud1950 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Okay.It's a real Gibson,but like I said,it's been modified and,from what I can see by looking at images of originals on the net,refinished.That Les Paul pickguard on there is just so wrong! According to this site, it was made 1970 - 1972,but according to everything I can find,they were discontinued sometime during 1971 ,so I guess 1970-1971 would be more accurate.
Spud1950

by Mason Jarre » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:33 am

I'm amazed that someone would go to so much trouble to alter a guitar like this one. My wife says she paid about two hundred dollars for it back in the early eighties. Because of the modifications, it's probably worth next to nothing now.

Thanks for your help.
Mason Jarre

by johnnyb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:16 pm

one observation is that there is no evidence of screw holes where the old pickguard would have been, that i can see. also, where the control holes would be on the link spud provided, are different than yours, if they were moved there would be evidence of that too. is there an access panel for the electronics on the back? all im thinking is that maybe this one was made like this, except for the tuners. or maybe a gibson neck on a 70's copy body. just a thought.
johnnyb

by Mason Jarre » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:26 pm

The only screw holes are on either side of the bridge, and they're very small. My first thought was that a bridge cover had been removed, as a screw that size wouldn't support anything under much tension.

There's no access panel in the back.

I've found only one Gibson SG model that is similar - the 1971 SG-100 Junior:

Mason Jarre

by Mason Jarre » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Here is a picture from eBay of a guitar just like mine except for the pickup. It's listed as a 1971 SG 100.

Now I wonder if Gibson made a later version with a humbucker pickup near the bridge.

Mason Jarre

by Spud1950 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Well,you're on to it! I've never seen those models. Definately looks to be some incarnation of an SG 100. The pickup in yours is not a humbucker,it's a dog ear P90 single coil, same pickup that was used in the SG Jr.'s. I can't find any pictures on the net of an SG 100 other then those having the Strat like pickup in the neck position. I also checked the Gibson catalogs in the VintAxe collection and didn't find anything exactly like yours. Yours may be a very early transition model that came right after the discontinued SG Jr.
Spud1950

by Mason Jarre » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:22 pm

I received an opinion from Bob Burns in Gibson Customer Service that the guitar "appears consistent with an early 1970’s SG-100 model."

My only concern at this point is that I want to be honest when I offer it for sale.
Mason Jarre

by Spud1950 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Took some more digging,but I found info to confirm the ID of your guitar.This is an excerpt from the Gruhn Guide To Vintage Guitars. George Gruhn is the most recognized expert on vintage American guitars.

So,according to Gruhn, the SG 100 was available with a P90 pickup only in 1972. There's probably not many P90 versions around. I can't find a picture of another one. You can get an online appraisal at the Gruhn site. Cost $50,but it's probably worth it if you're going to sell it.

Spud1950

by Mason Jarre » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Thank you so much for your help on this.

I've come to believe that the instrument is pretty much as produced, with the exception of the missing bridge cover and the additional of replacement tuners.
Mason Jarre

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts