The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

What make is this bass of? (Record cover)

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by 101Volts » Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 am

It looks awfully pointy for the 60s unless its a Teisco or some other Japanese brand. I don't see a name on the headstock.

101Volts

by VintAxe » Sun May 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I searched for the record cover and found that it was released in 1969. There would be several pointy Japanese options by this time. I can't see the bass well enough to have a strong opinion, but the headstock looks like it might be Guyatone shaped. Guyatone produced a lot of very pointy guitars starting in 1966. I think the Spotnicks would have toured Japan by this time as well.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by jimmyann » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I would say it's an APOLLO II Bass, an obsure japanese guitar maker.

The similarities are all there. the Black headstock which is the same shape, the white block fret markers, the white binding on the neck. the pickguard is the same shape with the white pickguard outline., the white nut. So it was probably an Apollo BASS, or an similar version of this guitar. I assume APOLLO was made in the 60s. I never heard of the brand. Finding any pictures of Apollo's are hard.

Just a guess, but i thinks thats it.

jimmyann

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts