[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Need some education on this guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Need some education on this guitar

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Bob K » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:19 am

Hi all:

I've always been intrigued by the small bodied guitar played by Johnny Guitar of Rory Storm and the Hurricanes early on in the Liverpool scene. Here's a link to a half-decent picture:

I've heard that it is an Antoria made by Guyatone, and also that it is a Fenton-Weill. Does anyone recognize this make/model?

Do they ever show up for sale? I've kept one eye open for a few years but have yet to bump into one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob
Bob K

by VintAxe » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:56 am

Hi Bob,

This guitar is listed in the 1964 Bell Musical Instrument catalog I have in the Catalog Section of VintAxe. Although the instrument pictured is not an exact match, it is the same guitar. It is called the Freshman, model 5800. It was made by Guyatone beginning in the late 50's and appears to be a budget guitar compared to the prices of other instruments listed. The 50's models had a rounder lower bout so the guitar in the picture is probably early 60's like the one in my catalog. I've never seen one in the flesh, I don't know how common they might be in the UK. I hope I've told you something useful, good luck with your search. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Bob K » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:20 am

Great! Thanks Steve.

Bob
Bob K

by simonm » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:01 am

Hi

a bit more more info - although they look basically the same, the 50s version, made by Guyatone in Japan, is better quailty than the Freshman -it has a thicker body, set neck and superior pickup(s), where the Freshman is maybe UK-constructed with mostly imported parts of the cheapest possible kind - the body is only one inch thick, with finish you can scratch off with your fingernail, and a thin thin neck held on w/ 2 screws. Freshmen (heh!) turn up on UK ebay occasionally, but the Guyatones are pretty rare. I've never seen one, although I have a slightly later Guyatone with the orignal metal GUYAtone logo, but a more strat-like body that is quite a good li'l gtr. I got a Freshman on ebay as it was being sold with a Selmer amp, but I sold it on pretty quick.

The early Fenton Weill and Burns Weill c1959-60 gtrs were higher quality and Brit-made but the same shape, hence the confusion - there's one here, pretty cool:

here's a pic of a Freshman, forgot about the horrible 3 piece pickguard - so think you could cut it with a pair of scissors: - Image
simonm

by Bob K » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:55 am

Fantastic info, simonm! Thanks so much.

Are you of the opinion that the guitar that Johnny Guitar played was the Guyatone version? Seems like that would be the case.

I guess there's not much hope of finding one - sound rare as hen's teeth :cry:

Thanks again,
Bob
Bob K

by simonm » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:06 am

simonm

by Bob K » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:44 pm

Well, here's one on ebay, but kind of a basket-case - and except for the body shape not much like the one Johnny Guitar played. All of the hardware, pickups (woodgrain?), pickguard, bridge, etc. all seem different than his model. They must be totally different guitars, as it doesn't seem this Freshman could withstand the rigors of early sixties Liverpool.

It's not a bolt-on neck, though :? .

Any input/thoughts?

Bob
Bob K

by Big Beat » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:40 am

The eBay guitar is a Freshman. The one in the photo is most likely a c. 1959 Burns-Weill.
Big Beat

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:06 am

If anyone out there is REALLY interested in these old Guyatones and getting their hands on a project, I was just in an OUTSTANDING shop... makes project-junkies like me go apeshit...

Check out Time Warp Musicnear Venice CA. The dude has TWO old Guyatones (one MIGHT be a Soph model, not sure, might be 60's as opposed to 50's) sitting in varying states of disrepair. You project hounds should hop on this!

<3,
Michael Ambrose.
Michael Ambrose

by Bob K » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:46 pm

Hi all,
There's a Guyatone on ebay at the moment that looks similar to the Johnny Guitar model that I'm after (as pictured in my first post).

Body shape looks the same but hardware and headstock are very different. :?

The seller says late '50s, which I would imagine would coincide with Johnny Guitar's (as he used his in the very early '60s).

Can anyone shed some light on this ebay guitar and how it might relate to the model I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Bob
Bob K

by VintAxe » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi Bob, I think the seller is right. This guitar is pictured in Bizarre Guitars of the 60's. It is described as a late 50's LG-608. The skinny fenderish headstocks are listed as the LG-408 and LG-508. The LG-608 appears to be the top of the line from this series. From what I can tell the eBay guitar looks to be all original. Good find & good luck. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Bob K » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:54 am

Well, over a year later and I finally put my hands on one! :lol:

It's pretty close to Hank and Johnny Byrne's model. The fretboard inlays are not the same. It's unbranded as was theirs. It does have a model number on the back of the headstock (HG-80). Funny fact - there is no trussrod under the trussrod cover!! :roll:

Here's Johnny Guitar:

And Hank Marvin (and Cliff Richard)

And here's mine (wife and guitar :D )

Any further input would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Bob
Bob K

by VintAxe » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:12 am

Hey Bob,

Congratulations on your acquisition, it looks like a very clean example.

sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts