[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Unknown Kay guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Unknown Kay guitar

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

Buy it?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Yes.
No votes
No.
100%
Sure, but it's not too good.
No votes

Total votes : 3

by Cinaed666 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Hello, I was wondering if someone here knows a bit about this guitar here.
I'm a player, and I found someone selling a nice looking 70s guitar.
The brand is Kay, and it's presumably made in the early 70s. He doesn't know anything about it himself either.
It looks a bit like a les paul, so I tried googling for Kay les paul copies, but I couldn't find anything that looks
remotely like it.
Pictures: (I'm sorry they're not higher quality)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Musica ... nt_Company
The pickups look a bit odd... Single coil I guess, but they remind me of P90s a bit...

Anyone?

Also, I'm thinking about buying it, if it turns out to be any good.
The seller is asking 150€ for it. (about 210 USD)
I'm sure it'll be an improvement over my 2010 Epiphone SG :P
Cinaed666

by VintAxe » Mon May 30, 2011 2:00 pm

From what I can see in your pictures the guitar appears to be a Taiwan Kay built around 1979-80. Here is a picture of a K-1 which is SG shaped but is otherwise similar to your guitar:

It sounds like you will be able to play the guitar before you buy it. I would check the intonation carefully. If it is off, there is not much you can do to fix it with the non adjustable bridge. I've also heard those pickups are pretty microphonic at higher volume.

The price seems a bit high to me. You can buy guitars of similar quality all day long on eBay for $150 USD.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Cinaed666 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Thanks for the info! I'm sure in the US you can find them dirt cheap, but here in Belgium these tend to be rare and very expensive.

I hope the guitar is in great playing condition, as I'm looking for something cool but cheap to gig with.

And yes, I can test it out before I buy it, but it would be a shame to come back empty-handed because it's quite a long trip for me.

EDIT: After some googl'ing I have yet to find the exact same guitar, but the KAY K-2 looks a bit more like it, albeit still an SG model.
Cinaed666

by VintAxe » Mon May 30, 2011 5:18 pm

I have the 1979-80 Kay catalog that shows SG and Les Paul copies. I would say this guitar is more of an attempt at a Les Paul Jr. copy and is not pictured in the catalog. So, this guitar was likely produced for a short amount of time since the copy body shapes from Taiwan were gone by the 1982 catalog.
VintAxe
Site Admin

kay

by doctor Guy » Mon May 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Cinaed 666
I think some people might want this to add to a colection or nostalgia
but for gigging if I had to chose I would keep the Epi put your money into
a good setup by a reputable luthier in your area. It cant be that bad I have a 2001 epi dot and its one of my favorite cheap guitars but after 2004 they switched from Korea to china and have not tried those
doctor Guy

by Spud1950 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Spud1950

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts