[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Please help with this early 1960's ? guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Please help with this early 1960's ? guitar

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mikespowell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:31 pm

I acquired this recently and I am having a hard time identifying what kind of guitar it is. Inside the body there is a stamp of N1 and the pots are marked 1346016 with w3739 under that stamp. I believe the first code indicates central labs 1960 16th week. Thanks for any help.

Michael

Image[/url]

mikespowell

by mikespowell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm

sorry second pic is so wide...
mikespowell

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 pm

It's a Kay model K 1963 Value Leader. The "3" in the model number indicates 3 pickup version. the 1961 had 1 pickup,the 1962 had 2. The bridge on yours is not original. It originally had a wood bridge,as seen here.

Spud1950

by mikespowell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Everyone will be so excited to finally know what this animal is. Is fun to play and by the wear it has in all the right places it has been played a LOT. Thanks again!!

Michael
mikespowell

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:25 pm

As far as dating it,Kay never really had a sequential serial number system,so the deciphering the pot codes should give a pretty accurate date estimation.I checked the Kay catalogs in the VintAxe collection.That model first shows up in the 1960 catalog and appears up until 1966.
Spud1950

by mikespowell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:48 pm

I will definitely check out the catalog on here, hopefully it is not hard to find. It is addictive looking at the members posting of mystery guitars. I found a 1963 kay in very good shape for 850$ without working tone controls. All the knobs work on mine but it is FAR from very good. Also watched some youtube videos of people playing the kay. Here is the URL for that one for sale:

mikespowell

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:07 pm

That's a nice one,but Olivia's stuff is always overpriced. I've seen a lot them in same condition sell for $500-$600,sometimes a bit less. The original 1960 catalog price was $99.50! As far as your pots, try spraying in some good electrical contact cleaner,like DeOxit or some other equivalent made specifically the purpose.Should make the operate a lot better.Do not use,as some recommend, WD-40. Not the right stuff!
Spud1950

by mikespowell » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm

Yeah your values seem a lot more realistic. The Chevron head piece seems to add a lot of value as well, correct? Which unfortunately mine does NOT have.
mikespowell

by Spud1950 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15 pm

Yeah,the cool stamped metal badge is more desirable,but otherwise it's still the exact same guitar. I don't think it justifies that big of price difference.
Spud1950

by mikespowell » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:22 am

I am definitely NOT doing anything major to this guitar, just cleaning it up thats all. Any guess as to a value?
mikespowell

by Mgeek » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:00 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-EARLY-1960 ... 33694ce742

Here's one that went for $290

I'd say that's about going rate, TBH. These often get listed with start bids of $500 and don't get any takers.

Cool guitars though!
Mgeek

by opotable » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:38 pm

opotable

by mikespowell » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:51 pm

mikespowell

by awgiedawgie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Based on my own research, I'd say that is either from '60 or '61. If you look at the Kay catalogs for those first two years of that model, they say simply "steel reinforced" neck. Starting in '62, they show in bold print that the Value Leader and Style Leader models also included the "Thin-Lite" adjustable neck. That would also have been when those models started coming with the chevron on the headstock, although they didn't change the photo in the catalog when they changed the neck. (Point of note: Although someone mentioned above that this model was available through '66, it is not included in the )

The one I have has a slightly different pattern on the chrome pick guard, and the pickup covers are bolted instead of riveted to it. It has the non-adjustable neck like yours, and also no logo on the headstock. It's my guess (since I haven't been able to confirm it anywhere) that the oval label with the Kay emblem on it was probably just a thin foil label, and it probably peeled off fairly easily, since most of the pictures I've been able to find also do not include it. Mine has enclosed Kluson Deluxe tuning machines, which were only mentioned in the catalogs for the more expensive guitars. My Mom estimated that my Dad got it when he was about 16, which would have made it in '60. I haven't looked for a code on the pots, so I don't know how they compare to the ones you have.

Judging from the condition yours is in, it didn't spend nearly enough time in a case. I couldn't find this guitar in Blue Book, but considering that in '60 and '61 they sold for $99.95, I wouldn't think yours is worth any more than that today. Mine is in near-mint condition, and I have the original case, also in excellent shape, so it might be worth more in the $500-750 range - maybe $800 with the case. I'd be really surprised if someone valued mine at $850, and I'm even more surprised that the one mentioned above actually SOLD for $850! I'm guessing it was purchased by someone who assumed that because it was an antique, it must be valuable. Of course, I'll never be selling mine, so it doesn't much matter to me what anyone else thinks it's worth.
awgiedawgie

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts