[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Burke Guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Burke Guitar

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mancavedave » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 pm

I am looking to hear from anyone who may have information about a Burke Guitar. This was my 2nd guitar which I got in 1962. It was an electric two pickup, Les Paul style that was very heavy due to the fact the the neck was made of "pot metal". It was painted a dark burgundy purple & had the name "Burke" on the headstock. I got it in Eugene Oregon in or about 1962/1963
& was told ten years ago that it was made by the folks who made Messenger Guitars, a company known as Musicraft. Any info or photos would be grteatly appreciated. Thanx in advance, mancavedave
mancavedave

by Spud1950 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:48 am

I did some digging and what you had was a really obscure and rare guitar. It was made by Glen F. Burke,who held a patent for constructing a guitar with a metal neck and center frame which ran through a wood body.Here's his original patent,issued in 1963.

It seems that he custom made and sold the Burke branded guitars of various designs using the metal neck/frame on his own for about 3 to 4 years.I found info,as stated by his daughter, that Musicraft incorporated his design into their Messenger guitar.So,while there is a Burke/Musicraft connection,they never actually made any Burke branded guitars. Musicraft was only in business from 1967-1968.
Spud1950

by mancavedave » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 am

Thank You Spud1950 You Are Brilliant!! That is indeed the guitar I owned.
In addition, Glen Burke's listed address is within a mile of where I grew up, also on 17th St. in Eugene, OR. If you ever run into anymore information about him, his history, or other guitars that may still be out there, I'd love to hear about it. I have a very long & lengthy story around that guitar, & what was happening with the local music scene of that time. I'll put it down in print one day. Again, Many Thanks, Dave
mancavedave

by Spud1950 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Today I found another,more specific reference to the Burke guitars on this site.Scroll down to "Musicraft Messenger".

I can't find any other info or any pictures of a Burke guitar. Try contacting that site and see if they can put you in touch with whoever posted that info.
Spud1950

by mancavedave » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 pm

mancavedave

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts