Any idea what this thing might be?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by meloncoly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:57 pm

No dates or marks - found it on ebay.

Some old custom junk or super-old gem?
meloncoly

by Big Beat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:28 pm

My guess is that this is a budget USA-made parlor guitar from 1910s-1920s, electrified in the 1950s with parts from an early electric lap steel.

The kid who did this ruined both instruments, trashing daddy's still-repairable-at-that-point lap steel and cutting right through the braces of grandpa's parlor. Unhappy with the results, he bought a shiny new Harmony to replace this thing :)
Big Beat

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Big Beat wrote:My guess is that this is a budget USA-made parlor guitar from 1910s-1920s, electrified in the 1950s with parts from an early electric lap steel.

The kid who did this ruined both instruments, trashing daddy's still-repairable-at-that-point lap steel and cutting right through the braces of grandpa's parlor. Unhappy with the results, he bought a shiny new Harmony to replace this thing :)

I could go either way on this one.

I really like guitars like this... I had this GREAT old Silvertone parlor piece that someone had slapped a Harmony P13 pickup (with complete tortoise shell ring and original wiring harness) into the soundhole... and I can tell you, it was done a loooooooong time ago.

So, don't just to conclusions; this COULD have been done years and years ago.

As for what it is... Definitely a Valco-ish Lap Steel plate... But I'm thinking more along the lines of a Washburn/Lyon guitar from that era... Whenever I come upon one of these little peanuts, nine times out of ten its a Washburn.

So yeah, the way I see it, whats done is done, and was probably done half a century ago. Now its a piece of history with a story all its own... a piece with a ton of soul that when pushed through the right amp, probably sounds nastier and grittier than ANYTHING you'd try and replicate with a stompbox.

Nice find.
Michael Ambrose

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts