[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Lark 1970s Stratocaster Copy

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Lark 1970s Stratocaster Copy

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mitchelleabrams » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:26 am

I just inherited this real sweet Fender Stratcocaster copy. It looks like an identical match with the big headstock and all. The only identifying feature I see is that is has the name Lark in gold cursive lettering in the clearcoat on the headstock. I can not find any information about a Lark Stratocaster on the internet! There is one review for this guitar on harmony central and the guy said it was made in the 1970s in Japan. The neck is amazing on this and it feels like a real 1970s Fender. Does anyone know where Lark guitars were made and how old my guitar is?
Whats it worth?

Thanks
mitchelleabrams

by mitchelleabrams » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:25 pm

mitchelleabrams

by mitchelleabrams » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:21 pm

I found another Lark guitar on ebay. The guy on Answers.com said Lark was most likely a house brand used by a department chain. Were they made in Japan? Is the strat a 60s or 70s model? My local guitar shop said it could be late 60s because of the plate that you have to take off to put the strings on. He said those are usually found on bass guitars. Any info will be appreciated on the strat copy. Thanks.

mitchelleabrams

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:50 pm

Hey Mitch,

Thanks for the pixs, they will really help in identifying your guitar. At the moment, I don't know who made your guitar but with a little research I bet we can get an ID. I agree with your guitar shop guys that the bridge plate will be very useful in identifying your instrument. As far as the name goes, Lark was likely a house brand for a distributor but again, I don't know who that distributor might have been.

From the pictures it looks like a fine axe well worth researching. My first thought was Aria but it doesn't match anything I've got on Aria Strats in the 70's so I'm going to need to look a little deeper. The cover plate does suggest Japanese origin but it will take a little work to figure out who produced it.

Be patient, we have some very knowledgeable members on the Forum, someone will figure it out. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by mitchelleabrams » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:17 am

Thanks SB
mitchelleabrams

by mitchelleabrams » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Guitar is now on Ebay if anyone is interested. I am not a collector, and would rather see someone enjoy it than have it sit around.

Item number: 270074708053 :D
mitchelleabrams

by Bassassin » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:30 pm

Nice looking Strat. I'm inclined to think it might be Korean - a few hardware details are very similar to a Korean Thinline Tele copy I had recently, and aren't things I've seen on MIJ guitars.

My Thinline was branded Taurus - presumably a UK dealer/distributor rebrand, and there was no clue to its origin other than a Made In Korea sticker on the headstock. It had an identical neckplate with overtly rounded corners & deeper screw countersinks than Japanese plates I'm familiar with. I've also seen plates similar to this one on MIK Hondos.

Most MIJ plates aren't blank - they tend at least to have the MIJ stamp & sometimes carry numbers, factory name & other text. I can only think of Kasuga who used blank plates, but no doubt other factories did.

The truss cover is interesting too. The MIJ Fender copies I've seen which have a trc rather than a heel-end adjustment or head-end bullet tend to have white plastic or chrome covers. This one again is the same as my Korean Tele - black plastic with a sharp point & shaped to the headstock curvature. I should add I'm using the pics on the Ebay listing for reference here.

Of course these are just details, they might be clues or might mean nothing. It would be interesting to get a look at the electrics & hardware to see if they offer any clues, and find out what the body construction is - my Tele was ply.

One comment I'd like to make about the listing, though - you can be absolutely certain it's not from the 1960s - simply, no Oriental factory was producing copies anything like as accurate as this one that early on, this guitar is 70s, or if it turns out to be Korean, even early 80s.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by mitchelleabrams » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks. I had it listed on a 3 day auction at 249.99 but got no bids. Perhaps it is overpriced, but another Lark Music Master sold around in the historical auctions. I will relist for another 3 days. This thing has a great neck on it and feels way better than the new Fenders.
mitchelleabrams

by mitchelleabrams » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:03 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-LARK-Acoust ... dZViewItem

According to the above link, this guitar was made by the Lark Philadelphia Music Company in Limerick, PA. The acoustic guitar in the link was made in Korea, so I will assume mine is to. It looks as if I answered my own question. Thanks for everyone's help!!
mitchelleabrams

by VintAxe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:00 am

Just a little more Mitch,

I just found this 1975 Hondo Stratocaster copy. It is not an exact match, but it is certainly a cousin of your guitar. Looks like the Korean attribution is correct. Good luck with the auction. sb

VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts