[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Looking for help with an ID

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Looking for help with an ID

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Spellcaster » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:23 pm

In the late 60's I bought a new solidbody guitar that I've never known the correct name of. On the headstock, there was a chrome script nameplate that I thought might say "Tombolini" or perhaps "Combolini". It was a garish thing......upholstered in red sparkle padded vinyl with white piping around the edge of the body. (Today, I'd compare it to a 50's or 60's set of kitchen chairs, lol) It had a large black pickguard with four pickups controlled by rocker switches, plus a multitude of knobs. I was a complete noob when I bought it (for about 200.00, as I recall) and mainly was impressed with the wild cosmetics and the four pickup design. It was a horrible thing to play....thick neck, fairly stiff and cumbersome feeling , and didn't stay in tune worth a damn. I only kept it a few months and have never had regrets that I didn't keep it as a player. I think that now, it would be a neat curiosity to hang on the wall though, if I could track one down. Does the description ring any bells with anybody? If I could be sure of the name and country of origin it might be easier to find.
I know just enough to be dangerous...
Spellcaster

by wietse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:38 am

check out http://www.fetishguitars.com must be on there sounds to me to be a EKO or a melody.
gemelli is also possible that name sounds more like the one you remember.
wietse

by Spellcaster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Spellcaster

by Spellcaster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Here's an interesting picture I found online. Not the same guitar, but it validates that the name was Tombolini, and this one's strange enough to be from the same manufacturer. Also discovered they were big in accordians.

Spellcaster

by wietse » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 pm

that guitar is made by bartolini, possible made with the name tombolini on it for a warehouse, who knows?.

a typical italian guitar form the 60's more show than go imho.
these guitars are highly collectable due to their oddball looks.
wietse

by Spellcaster » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Yeah, it could have been a rebrand. The store where I bought it purchased all their stock back in 60's from a wholesaler in Vancouver, BC called Great West Imports. A lot of their less expensive instruments were Matsumoku-made Conrads and Arias with the names Toledo or Raven on the headstock. I suspect that was Great West's thing, importing less expensive guitars to sell as their house brands. They also sold Mann and Pan which were MIJ, although I don't know what factory built them. I find myself wishing I'd kept the Tombolini guitar now....It looking pretty splashy, upholstered in padded red sparkle vinyl.

I'd love to find a Great West catalog....I heard recently that the owner's daughter who took over the business near the end is still alive and kicking. She actually came out of retirement and drummed for my band one night back in the 90's - and kicked ass. She took a shine to me back then and I'm pretty sure if I asked and the catalogs were still around, she'd give them to me. That would be my ultimate Wishbook. I spent a lot of time with that big black binder when I was a teenager, and it had some stuff in it that you guys would love.
Spellcaster

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts