[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Unknown slim vintage electric guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Unknown slim vintage electric guitar

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by zimzum » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:31 am

Hello,

Here is my last barn sale find.
It's a slim guitar with absolutely no inscription on it, not even béhind the pickup.

During a concert, I noticed a guitar which looked quite close in the materials and build quality. The guitarist told me it was a Kay or Rex Guitar made by Gretsch. Maybe this is one too?
Maybe it's just a non professional built, but I would like to know the period when it was built.

Any idea?
Thanks!

zimzum

by VintAxe » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:59 am

I don't know zimzum, I've never seen anything like it. The body looks homemade to me. I just don't see a manufacturer taking the time to cut a scrollie body for a budget guitar. Looks more like the vision of a proficient woodworker to me. It's possible the neck was obtained from a commercially produced guitar but I don't recognize the headstock profile. Maybe someone else will :wink:
VintAxe
Site Admin

by zimzum » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:22 am

Is it a known pickup? Maybe this can give an idea of the year?
zimzum

by Phizix » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 pm

I would guess the era to be something like 1958-1964 , the tuners, bridge and tailpiece all look very similar to hardware on some Kay/Silvertone/Airline/Harmony guitars of that era. The pickup isn't immediately recognizable to me but it does have a distinct look with the *'s in the pole pieces that someone might recognize.

The tuners look similar though not identical to these on a Harmony Stratotone from 1958
http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_ ... h47_tuners

The bridge and tailpiece hardware also looks similar to the setup on this 1960 Harmony Stratotone
http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_ ... e_h45_body
Phizix

by B B » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:15 am

I think it's a Hoyer from germany. Google Hoyer
B B

by BluesHawk » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 am

Last edited by BluesHawk on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by BluesHawk » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 am

P.S.

This guitar makes for a great little detective story. And we have lots of queries like these on this Forum. It just crossed my mind, a win-win strategy we might consider...

Vintage Guitar Magazine functions as sort of a switchboard for the network of vintage nuts like us, from hobbyists to international dealers.

I wonder if the editors would appreciate us sending queries like this to them once in a while. They publish articles about the discovery of esoteric old axes and might enjoy and even use some of our finds. And they might be able to help us out by filling in some details hobbyists like us would never discover on our own.

Just a thought...
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by zimzum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks all!
I think we're close to the truth here.
Now I neet to see what doesn't work in it as it doesn't make any sound... How do I know if the pickup is ok or not?
zimzum

by simonm » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:31 pm

I have seen Hofner-branded pickups with polepieces like this -

simonm

by BluesHawk » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

by zimzum » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:29 am

Some news.
I met a huge vintage guitar collector from whom I bought the Framus, he told me that this guitar seems to be an early Hoyer solid body model as mentionned previously in this topic.
He added that the pickup is a Schaller from end of 50s, beginning of 60s like the ones mounted on other german guitars of this period like Hoyer, Hoefner, Framus, Klira, Hopf, etc...
zimzum

by BluesHawk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 am

Good progress, Zim. Hey, I don't want to push, but just a prompt... :D

email your photos and what you've learned so far to Vintage Guitar Magazine. They may publish a photo and what they learn for you....every month they do two or three like this.
Cheers,

Doug
BluesHawk

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts