The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

any ideas on this? ps, it's not yet another generic copy...

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by opotable » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:20 pm

looks more european than japanese to me, but i really haven't a clue.

i like the styling.

opotable

by VintAxe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey opotable, I agree, this is a very interesting guitar. It is definitely Japanese with an interesting mix of features. The headstock/neck is a Kawai product, the body is associated with Minister guitars. I've seen the pups on Firstman guitars. The knobs are clearly replacements. Not sure about origin of all the plastic around the pups and switches but it is typical of Japanese construction. The tailpiece is also clearly Japanese.

Here is a Minister body that comes close to matching yours. I would speculate that your guitar is a early 70's version of this late 60's instrument.

As you well know, Japanese companies bought parts from each other during this period of guitar making so identifying a specific manufacture is difficult. Based on what I see I would go with Minister, they were a smaller producer and likely turned to Kawai to supply their guitar necks. Kawai produced this neck with block inlays on their models, this one has dots. A small twist to distinguish the two.

Very cool find, I hope you bought it.

s
VintAxe
Site Admin

by opotable » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:29 am

well that was quick! thanks muchos. :wink:

i won't be buying it, it's in toronto canada and asking price is $390 firm. ad placed nearly 2 months ago so obviously not a whole heap of people think it's worth that much.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-t ... nFlag=true
opotable

by VintAxe » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Interesting. When the seller says the guitar is "restored" I bet that means the neck has been replaced. Now the Kawai style neck on the Minister body makes more sense.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by cheepaxes » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:38 pm

I can't say much about the guitar, other than that it reminds me of the short-lived Martin electrics. What really caught my eye is that John Mayall album in the background. I bought a copy of that new when I was in Jr. high school and made my first awkward attempts at musical improvisation soloing along with that album on my school trombone. It helped that they wrote the keys to each song on the back. I still pull that album out and listen to it every few years.

-Scott
cheepaxes

by opotable » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 am

i'd never heard of the martin, this guitar does indeed seem to be inspired by it!

ye can't go wrong listening to john mayall, i saw him live here in 2007. 8)
opotable

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts