The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

VOX GUITAR, ANY IDEAS?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by voxman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:08 am

Hi guys, i'm halfway through restoring my dads guitar, I have searched for the model on the internet for hours, but I cant find anything with the same knobs, switches, pickups etc...

My dad messed up the guitar a few years back with a crap paint job, varnish and badly fitted frets etc..I have undone his handy work by sanding through 2 layers of paint, smoothing out the fret board and lowering the action etc..he also changed the shape of the body, so its slightly different to the original design.

It still makes a noise, but the connections sound a bit loose. Also one of the switches doesnt seem to do much and needs repair.

Does any one know the model of this guitar, any info would be greatly apreciated.

(PS - I'm going to re-fret it, anyone know what the best fret wire would be for this guitar and where to get it)

thanks,

Ben:)

voxman

by VintAxe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 am

Hi Ben,

I think your ID difficulties are due to the fact that your dad altered the body a lot, not a little. The only thing that suggests this guitar was ever a Vox are the stamped pickup covers and maybe the tail piece.

The closest models I can find that may have served as the basis of your guitar are the Clubman and the Ace.

The Clubman has the right pickup covers and a headstock that looks like it could be modified into the one on your guitar:

The Ace has an offset body that looks more like what your body was cut out of. It also has a Trem unit that is similar to the one on your guitar. However, the headstock looks too pointy to produce the headstock shape on your guitar.

So, I really don't know what model your guitar began life as but it doesn't matter anymore. I'm afraid the modifications are so extreme all you have left is a homemade guitar with some Vox parts on it. All I can guess is your dad was going for the Apache look. You can see a picture of a Vox Apache under the Vintage European Guitars forum.

See the Vintaxe Vintage Guitars link page for companies that sell fret wire. If you want to match the existing wire you'll need to measure the width of the wire currently being used. You can probably get a rough idea using a small-scale metal ruler from a hardware store.

So, that's what I see, I'll leave it to the Vox experts to tell me I'm wrong and what you actually have is a rare prototype Vox that never went into production. Let's see what people think. Thanks for the post. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by voxman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:20 am

thanks for the reply, it definately looks like it could have started life as a clubman the pickups are the same and the head stock shape. I'm sure it wouldnt be worth much with all the modifications, but I work as a music composer and would just like to use it for playing and recording. I'm sure I can bring it back to life eventually. I'll check with my dad to see just how much he modified it lol. Hopefully I can find some more clues, Thanks!!!
voxman

by jedistar » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:32 am

jedistar

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts