[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Gibson 335 Copy

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Gibson 335 Copy

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by stratatony » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:15 am

May I ask if anyone can help with this guitar. I know its a Harmony and thats about it. I bought it second hand and owned it for 14/15 years.
Does it have a price. I am willing to sell it.if the price is right
If at first you dont succeed :give up
stratatony

by François » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:10 pm

The tip, for this guitar, is under the Harmony logo. When you read there "est 1892", it's an asian made Harmony. None of the Harmony made in USA, before the Chicago factory closed in 1975, had this "est 1892".
Plus, Harmony USA never made copies of existing designs. They had their own models (and nothing really close to a 335).

This is not to say your guitar worth nothing, nor could be a great intrument. But it's very difficult to value "online" a 335 asian copy, because they were zillion of copies of all kinds, from zillion different origins, and nobody keeps any information about them...
If your guitar plays well, sell it in a store, or somewhere where the buyer can play it before he buys (ie not ebay)...
François

by VintAxe » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Great information Francois.

All the Harmony "335ish" styled guitars I was aware of had either a trapeze or bigsby styled tailpiece. I didn't know what to think about the stop tailpiece on this example.

stratatony, I have purchased some 1985 Harmony literature that should arrive sometime next week. Pricelists are included so maybe I can at least give you an estimate of what your guitar may have sold for new. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by stratatony » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:24 am

Thank you guy's . you comments are appreciated .
I will look forward to seeing what the"Harmony literature"comes up with.
.......................................................Image
stratatony

by stratatony » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:16 pm

I have just received this eMail from a friend of a friend, though you might like to see it.

"This guitar is a Gibson copy it is an epiphone sheraton mk2 worth about
£425 new and about £250 in very good condition they did a similar
guitar called the Riviera which has a trapeze bridge set up."

I think it just might be this one .Time to confess, after seeing the picture of the
epiphone it reminded me,when I got the guitar it had
no Plec-gaud so I made the one that's on it,14 years ago.
and that's why there's no "E" on it.But I carnt understand why its got Harmony on the Head

stratatony

by Bassassin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:00 pm

This is the trouble with copy guitars - they all tend to look oddly similar.

I'd say your guitar is an early 80s copy, made in Korea & sold under the Harmony brand. Its headstock shape follows the traditional Harmony design - but what's interesting is that this same line of guitars, with the same shape headstock, was sold in the UK at the same time, under the Antoria brand.

Now, before anyone starts telling me Antorias were Japanese, and built alongside Ibanez at Fujigen - yes, they were, when the brand was in the hands of JT Coppock Ltd. The brand has changed hands a few times over the years, JT Coppock ceased trading & Antoria was bought by JL Music (I think!) and at this point the name appeared on these Korean instruments. They are reputedly of good quality, and possibly originate from Cort , in Korea.

Anyway, I hope this helps, try a Google search for Antoria guitars & you'll turn up a few similar to yours.

Jon.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

by stratatony » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:17 am

I think you might be right BASSASSIN This is moor difficult than finding Lotto wining numbers
Look at the pickups on this ." Antoria Rockstar "

stratatony

by Bassassin » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:13 am

Nice one, result - I do think. Looks like the same guitar, apart from being in knob deficit, to the tune of 3. :D

Still guesswork as to who actually built it, though.

J.
Remembering of all that is past
I see everything before me at last...
Bassassin

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts