[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Anyone recognize this odd axe?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Anyone recognize this odd axe?

Post here if you are not sure where your vintage guitar was made

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by xardoz » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Sorry for the bad scan, but it's the only picture I have of it.

Back in 1984 or '85, I traded a Hondo II P-bass copy for it. Being all of 16 or 17 at the time, I had no idea what I was doing, but I really liked the look of the guitar. I found out later that the neck pocket was seriously damaged and it wouldn't stay in tune without serious repairs, so I passed it on to a pawn shop and it disappeared. But something about the shape and feel of the body has stuck with me for the last 20-odd years, and I'd love to find another one.

I honestly have no idea what make it was. The neck was a bolt-on, probably a replacement, and it had a Hagstrom tailpiece - again, probably a replacement since there were unfilled screw holes on either side of the Hagstrom piece. It was probably something somebody kludged together out of spare parts. Someone told me once that it might have been a St. Louis Music item, sold under the "Apollo" brand, but they weren't sure.

I'd love to find another one if I could.

Thanks!
xardoz

by GuitarDir » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:27 am

Hi,

Looks very similar to the "Lafayette" displayed on this site:

GuitarDir

by xardoz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

THAT'S IT! WOO-HOO! Now I just have to find one.

xardoz

by VintAxe » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:33 am

Excellent work GuitarDir !

xardoz, I don't know if you are aware that Lafayette was an importer/ distributor of electronics and guitars. So, you now know who imported and distributed your guitar but there is still the question of who made it.

Based on the headstock shape, my first guess is going to be Guyatone. Although a few other Japanese companies used this shape (Minister comes to mind), Guyatone used it on more guitars over a longer period of time. Here is an excerpt from a 1966 Guyatone catalog to illustrate what I mean.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate the body style of your guitar in any of the Guyatone literature I have so I the question of manufacturer is still open.

Does anyone have other ideas? sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by GuitarDir » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:39 am

VG (price guide 2007) doesn't exclude Teisco!
GuitarDir

Return to Vintage Electric Guitars of Unknown Origin

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts