[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Wanted: Gretsch 7-string PUs (or other 7-string PUs)

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Wanted: Gretsch 7-string PUs (or other 7-string PUs)

Post requests for guitar parts needed for your restoration or parts you have available for sale

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Hannes » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi everybody,

during my search for new pickups I found out that Gretsch made a couple of 7-string guitars in the 60's and 70's - the George Van Eps Signature guitars.

So, I am searching for these pickups, especially the neck humbucker.

Now I am hoping... Has anyone some of these or an idea where to find them?

I am also looking for other vintage 7-string humbuckers.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Best regards from Berlin,
Hannes
Hannes

by Hannes » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:05 am

Hi,

has no one an idea where I can get some vintage 7-string pickups? I guess they're too rare...

thanks,
Hannes
Hannes

by VintAxe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi Hannes and welcome to the Forum.

I think it will be nearly impossible to find a 7 string George Van Eps guitar pickup. Even though the 7580 and 7581 seven string models were produced for about 10 years I'm sure production numbers were low and during that time period there would have been no other pickup options to substitute for the original pickups. By the time new 7 string pickup options would become available, the Van Eps models would have been considered collectible and probably not tampered with. If you really want a Van Eps 7 string pickup, you will probably need to buy a Van Eps guitar.

Here is a Van Eps listed on a US gear website called Reverb. This one is a bit overpriced but will help you to begin establishing the value of these instruments:

As far as used 7 string pickups go, I just looked through about 30 pages of 7 string pickup listings on eBay USA. Of the 1,500 pickups listed, 2 were used. I think one was a Jackson and the other an Ibanez.

So, I think your hunch that these used pickups are rare is justified. Loads of new pups from great pup builders are available. You might want to consider a new model pickup, I'm sure there are some models out there that might meet your needs.

Good luck with your search.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Hannes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Actually, I found a nice collector who would sell one... Unfortunatley I cant afford it. Unbelieveable.
He wants to have 450 $ for the pickup. I do not deny that the pickup is worth that much, but I was hoping for a lower price.
Well, maybe some day.

Anyway, thanks for your nice answer!
Hannes

Return to Guitar Parts Needed or For Sale

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts