[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - FLat-Top Floating Bridge

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

FLat-Top Floating Bridge

Post requests for guitar parts needed for your restoration or parts you have available for sale

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Mgeek » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:16 am

Anyone know where I can source these?

I've got FIVE guitars that all originally came with compensated Ebony floating bridges- but with flat bottoms

The only ones I can find on stewmac and elsewhere online are for archtops- with a curved bottom.

In theory I could grind some flat, but I need quite a bit of height to compensate for the neck joins not being sunk too deep into the body.

Even a tuneomatic type thing would be cool...gotta have a flat bottom though
Mgeek

by VintAxe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Mgeek.

Guys are reproducing the Kay/Harmony bridges for their flat top hollowbodies and selling them on US eBay.

Here's a guy currently making 5 different styles. He appears to have a shop and might even do a custom fabrication for you provided you can give him specs.

Would something like this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harmony-Stratotone- ... ccessories?
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Mgeek » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks a lot Vint-

I could possibly make something like that work...but ideally it'd be compensated like this

Having said that though-the fact that he makes them himself gives me the idea to have a crack

If I can't get an exact match for what would have come on the guitars originally (they are Fenton Weils)- I'm up for crafting something- but it's so tantalising because the bridge in the picture is EXACTLY what I need...but with a curved base- and it seems like a relatively off the shelf part.
Mgeek

by VintAxe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Hmmmm.

If you can get the saddles, I bet my luthier Keith would build the bases for you to your specifications. He has fabricated bridges for me before using old growth rosewood his dad salvaged out of an old marimba.

You may be able to accomplish the same thing locally if there is a luthier in your area. Keith is supposed to drop off some guitars for me tomorrow, I can ask what he would charge to do the work if you want.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Mgeek » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:03 pm

If you could ask- that'd be great, just for an idea of price range though- I suspect with international postage it might not work out so good, although you never know!

Thanks!
Mgeek

Return to Guitar Parts Needed or For Sale

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts