The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Matsumoku (possibly Ibanez) bass body needed

Post requests for guitar parts needed for your restoration or parts you have available for sale

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by schnozzle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 am

On the offchance that someone has something--

I have an old no-name lawsuit bass that, I'm told, came from the Matsumoku factory in the early 70's. I've never been able to ID it positively but, looking at the '71 Ibanez catalog, it looks pretty much exactly like the Model 2371 bass except without the rotary pickup selector by the bridge--it's just got a regular toggle, and the bridge itself is different (I suspect it's aftermarket). Otherwise, it's identical, same body, same neck & blank headstock, same pickups, etc.

Mine has sustained some kind of damage to the body, unfortunately--maybe it was dropped or sat on before it reached me, I don't know--but the wood block under the top where the neck attaches to the body has split apart. Anyway, the result is that the bass can't take string tension and the neck (which is actually straight) pulls up away from the body. The action is something like 2" high where the neck meets the body. I've had it glued back together several times and it never holds for long.

The neck and pickups are still good, though, so for a while now I've been trying to find a project body that would fit them. I see sg-type bodies on ebay now and then, but never the hollow ones.

So yeah--if anyone has, or runs across, one of these things without a neck, and would be willing to part with it for a reasonable cost, please let me know. I should mention that it doesn't HAVE to be exactly this model body--at this point the thing has been sitting in its case for so long that I'm not super picky, as long as the parts would fit.

Thanks.

This is (basically) it:

schnozzle

Return to Guitar Parts Needed or For Sale

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts