[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 69 Telecaster? Hopefully

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

69 Telecaster? Hopefully

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by fendersteve » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:23 am

Ok I have had in my posession for the last 25 years or more my beloved Fender Telecaster, A few years back I took it to a local guitar shop and they said it was marked Dec 69 on the base of the neck.
these are the numbers on the various bits. Its a maple neck and natural wood finish, I suspect it may have originaly been Blonde. :)

PAT 2.753.254 3.143.028 On the head stock
230327 on the rear neck plate with a big F logo on it.

There are some numbers below the bridge pickup but due to some old fashioned rust I cannot quite make them out (I need a magnifying glass)

When i bought it the neck pickup was missing and there was a horrid home made steel scratch guard fitted so I have replaced the pickup with a modern one and put a black scratch guard on it (20 years ago)
Any Ideas on what I may have? and its possible worth?
fendersteve

by VintAxe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi fendersteve,

Your neck plate number is consistant with a 1969 production date. Given you have owned the guitar for 25 years, it likely is a 1969.

Putting a value on a guitar like yours that has been heavily modified is difficult. An unmodified 1969 Telecaster Standard in blond finish and maple neck is valued between $5,000 to $7,500 USD in the U.S. market. The mods will probably cut those values in half. However, given you are in the U.K. values will probably be somewhat higher for a Telecaster compared to U.S. prices.

If your Tele is a beloved guitar I assume you are not interested in selling it anyway. For insurance purposes, something between $3,000 - $4,000 USD should probably get the job done.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by fendersteve » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks for the quick reply,

Do you consider a replacemant scratch guard and pickup as heavily modifed?

I was thinking of trying to put it back to original by spending some money on a 69 scratch guard and pickup.

fendersteve

by VintAxe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:56 pm

I don't see the scratchplate as a big deal, but the replaced neck pu is a big deal. Also, the refinish hurts the value significantly. It would be better if the guitar was refinished to a 1969 stock color rather than the natural finish it has now.

The most expensive 1969 colors are:
Sonic Blue ($8,000-$10,000)
Teal Green ($8,000-$10,000)
Foam Green ($8,000-$9,000)
Firemist Silver or Gold ($8,000-$9,000)

You can certainly increase the value of your instrument by returning the neck pu to stock and having it professionally refinished.

The authors of the Price Guide suggest that a refinished guitar, regardless of the quality of the job, will reduce price guide values by 50%. So, the single best thing you can do to increase value is replace the pickup.

Thanks for the picture, it is a lovely natural top. Unfortunately values are closely tied to originality.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by fendersteve » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Thanks again for the info.

i have to say the that the guitar is something i would not sell so value is for insurance only.

It plays fantastically and the tone from the Bridge pickup is wonderfull.

I bought it from guy that was in desperate need for some cash around 25 years ago for £80 Sterling so i'm happy. :D

I'll certainly replace the neck pickup for my own satisfaction and for the great sound i'll get.

And Hey! It's getting older every year. So what an investment.
fendersteve

by sneakypete » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:40 pm

ask these questions over at the TDPRI site too.
sneakypete

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts