[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Regal T-12...Age?...Value?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Regal T-12...Age?...Value?

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by ochoco » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:31 pm

I recently acquired a Regal T-12 acoustic in an old case, it is what I would rate Fair but sturdy condition. I would like to know the age and an idea of the value, is it worth restoring? Thank you
ochoco

by VintAxe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi ochoco,

I think I can help you with age but I really have no good way of assigning a value.

Your Regal T-12 appears in the 1977 Regal catalog I have posted in the Acoustic Guitar Catalog section of the site:

Clearly, Regal guitars were being distributed by Targ and Dinner during this time but I am not positive who was making them during this period. I lose track of Regal between the mid 60's when Fender stopped distributing them and when the Regal name was resurrected by Saga Music to put on their line of Korean imports beginning in 1987.

One thing I can tell you is that the line across the bottom cover of the 1977 catalog says "fine fretted instruments handmade in America". Harmony was making Regals during the 1960's but since the American Harmony Company ceased operations in 1975 it isn't clear to me whether your guitar was old Harmony stock still being sold by T&D in 1977 or whether another company had stepped in to build the guitars for T&D. Just based on the build characteristics, I would guess your Regal was probably made by Harmony.

I think your best bet for determining value is to use Harmony flat top acoustics as your guide. Given your acoustic is only in "Fair" condition we are likely talking about a value range between $75-$125 at best. So, I guess the answer to your "is it worth restoring" question depends on what you would need to spend to get it up and running again.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts