[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - jackson RR

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

jackson RR

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by mofoya » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 am

hi all,

this is my first time here; so far it seems like a great wealth of info!

so, i have an old jackson rr and would like to figure out how much i could get for it...

the number stamped on the fretboard is RR 0168. i figure it was made in 1983. it's been modified with a fixed bridge and has some chips in the paint; no structural damage though.

i've played it for many years with no problems at all.

any thoughts???
mofoya

by mofoya » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 am

i forgot to mention that i have the original hardshell case in pristine condition...
mofoya

by VintAxe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:44 pm

Well mofoya, your serial number does indeed indicate a 1983 Custom RR built in San Dimas

My 2007 VG Price Guide values the no trem version at $2,200 - $2,700 and the trem version $1,400 - $1,600. This price range applies to guitars in Excellent condition.

If I understand your description, your guitar began life with a trem and was then converted to a fixed bridge. Any non factory modification hurts the value of a vintage instrument. However, the rarity of the instrument helps negate the depreciation resulting from modifications.

I think you have a very desirable guitar that should be in high demand. An early San Dimas RR is a guitar a lot of collectors would like to own. Since my price guide is old, I'm not sure about a current value, but I am sure it has increased. Early San Dimas guitars are definately becoming more appreciated as time goes on.

If you are sure you want to sell, I'd get my hands on the 2009 VG Price Guide. Well worth the $30 investment.

For those that might be interested, here's a quick history of the Jackson Randy Rhoads

VintAxe
Site Admin

by mofoya » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 pm

thanks vintaxe!

thats kinda what i was thinking. you understood correctly; it had a trem and someone removed it and put a tunomatic bridge some time before i bought it.

i blew ~$600 on it about 13 years ago.

do you think it might be wise to have the finish restored? the points have some paint worn off and there's a paint chip on the front face.

as for selling it...i dunno. maybe if i get the right offer, but i'm not looking for a buyer. i stopped playing it regularly because i've become lazy and like playing 'normal' shaped guitars, but it has a unique sound/feel that i like sometimes.
mofoya

by VintAxe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 pm

No, don't touch the finish. Honest playwear seldom detracts from the value of the instrument. It is what it is; and what it is; is pretty cool.
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts