The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Montgomery Ward Recording King

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by michaelo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:07 am

I won't be selling this!!! I just want to know for insurance purposes. Can anyone give me a value range on a Montgomery Ward Recording King? It is an archtop jazz guitar, unbound f-holes, 16" across the lower bouts, wbw binding on the edges of the body, single rectangular abalone block on the otherwise plain headstock. I think this is one of those real, made by gibson, pre-war carved top jazz guitars. I came to the conclusion after much study of a Gruhn's Guide. It is fully acoustic (no pickup).

Thank you,
Michael O'

michaelo

by VintAxe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:14 am

Hi Michael,

I think you are right, it is a Recording King M series guitar made between 1936-1941. I believe the checkered top binding makes it an M-5. If this is true, the next thing you need to determine is whether it is a 16 or 17 inch body.

I've got a slighly out of date price guide (2005), but they say the 16 inch is valued between $1,000-$1,400 and the 17 inch between $1,400-$1,800.

Here's hoping that the body is 17 inches wide. sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts