[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Really cool four pickup Teisco Del rey.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Really cool four pickup Teisco Del rey.

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Not Steve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:59 pm

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ms ... 60800.html

Man that thing is tight! are those four p90 style pickups? One thing that I don't like though is that I don't see four on/off switches.
Not Steve

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:07 pm

If by P-90 style you mean single-coil, than yes... but they don't even come close in output or tone. They just simple, unpotted pickups.

I can't tell if those are "spectrum" pickups or the generic bar magnets with a piece of gold foil instead of black. If they're generics, they're at about 4k-ish, max. Spectrums are nicer, though.

This guitar is the same generation as the Kay you posted earlier, just with a different hardware set. The bodies are typically better from this batch, and I always through that tremolo carve was cool.

That model trem, by the way, is WAY unstable.

there should be a cover for the bridge thats missing.
Michael Ambrose

by Not Steve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Oh, okay. I thought they might be like the DeArmond in my Vanguard, partially because they look larger than regular single coils. What makes a spectrum pickup better? So how much would this guitar fetch, maybe $300-$350?
Not Steve

by VintAxe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Hey Not Steve.

I sold one of these ET440 Spectrums a couple of years ago. The guy that bought it wanted to hear the pups before the purchase so I made a short demo designed to contrast the different tones of the 4 pups.

You can hear the demo here. No fancy licks, just a chord and a few notes played on each pup through a Blues Jr. set clean.

Seems like I sold mine for $225 if memory serves. You can read my description here. Look for ET440 1969 about 18 guitars down the page

VintAxe
Site Admin

by Michael Ambrose » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Michael Ambrose

by Not Steve » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:47 pm

Oh thanks guys! That guitar sounds nice, I like pickups 2 and 4 the best...

Edit: And yes, I think very highly of DeArmonds too, they are quite powerful. My only regret in my Kay (despite the fact that it needs a capacitor replaced. Guitar Center doesn't sound check their equipment apparently >.>) is that it only has one pickup. I might add another if I can find another like it (last one I saw on ebay went for almost 2/3 of what I payed for my guitar!) but only since I don't think everything is original to begin with.
Not Steve

by johnnyb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:43 pm

i sold one on e-bay a few months ago. ended up going for around $450. identical to that one. they are cool guitars. takes a little work but you can squeeze a lot of tones from these. here is a recording i made using this guitar in different pup configurations. you can get an idea of what it sounds like.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll14 ... 0_0001.flv
johnnyb

by Not Steve » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Not Steve

by johnnyb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:44 pm

im pretty sure the positioning of the pickups is what gives this guitar its variation in tone. although, the back side of the pickups are marked with either a neck or bridge stamp, probably indicating their ohm output. bridge pickups usually have a little more output to compensate for smaller string vibration. funny thing about all the 4 pickup guitars i have opened up is that they all seem to be stamped in the order of; bridge, neck, bridge, neck. (including this one) so????
a few words about the et-440 spectrum. if you like heavy distortion, its not for you, it likes to feed back. the output of the pickups may be a little lower than other guitars your used to. but who cares, i have a 50w tube amp that rarely goes over 3 in the clubs, so i pushed it to 4. the 4 selector switches can be a little cumbersome in live situations, i think thats why the 3 pup + 5 way toggle combo won that fight. but, in recording situations its awesome, they need some tweaking, but will find you the tone you may be looking for. i recommend these guitars highly.
johnnyb

by Not Steve » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Alright, awesome! I'm probably not buying it, it's a bit out of my price range. I'll keep that in mind though, for when I have the cash. I think I would be happiest with one that had an on/off for each pickup. My brother has a samick strat knock off, with an hss setup, and there's an on/off for each pickup (one for each coil of the humbucker) and it is awesome in any situation.
Not Steve

by mrblanche » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 am

I know where there's one hanging on the wall of an Applebee's restaurant...
mrblanche

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts