[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 193? Sovereign arch top f hole

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

193? Sovereign arch top f hole

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by bamafatz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:52 am

bamafatz

by Spud1950 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Does it say just "Sovereign" on the headstock or does it say "Harmony Sovereign"?

"Sovereign was Oscar Schmidt's deluxe brand. The Sovereign line included both six and twelve string guitars as well as banjos and mandolins. Sovereign was originally a brand of the Oscar Schmidt Company of New Jersey and used on guitars, banjos and mandolins. In the late 1930s Harmony bought a number of brands from Oscar Schmidt including Stella and Sovereign. Sovereign was no longer used as a brand from this point but Harmony did use it as a model name."

Either way, it would be very helpful to see some pictures. :)
Spud1950

by bamafatz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 pm

It is a Sovereign dated about 1935. Neil Harpe of Stella guitars says it is a rare guitar. As far as pics. go I cant figure out how to upload so you can see this beauty, sorry. If you know how please tell me and I'll be glad to.
bamafatz

by VintAxe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:59 pm

Hey bamafatz.

Most visitors have have success posting pictures by following the instructions under "Forum Help and Guidelines". If this doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll modify the instructions, sb
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:34 am

There is just about zero info on the value of these guitars.I've been scouring the net.I actually found a 1937 Oscar Schmidt Sovereign archtop that sold on eBay for $795. It's the only one I can find that has an actual asking or selling price attached to it. Scroll down the page. Any similarity to yours?

Best thing to do is to go to the Gruhn site.He's one of the worlds leading authorities on vintage guitars.Get some good pictures together. He offers an online appraisal for $50. Way better then trying to guess at the value and you get documentation from a recognized and trusted expert.Click on "Appraisal" in the menu for info.

Spud1950

by bamafatz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:27 pm

[url]http:i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/bamafatz/th_ebay010.jpg[/url] I guess I'm an idiot cause I cant figure this picture stuff out. anyway the pic. are at the url above. Good luck
bamafatz

by Spud1950 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:14 pm

I figured it out for you.

Your's appears to be the same model as the one in the link I provided with a different finish.Yours looks to be in nice condition,although it could use a good cleaning.Image

Not having the original tailpiece hurts the value a bit.Since there's no other info to be found as to the value other then what the one in the link I provided sold for,and without a professional appraisal,then I'd say that's around what it may be worth. There's simply nothing else to go on.
Spud1950

by bamafatz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes indeed it needed cleaning but I've already done that. Thanks for getting the pic. for me it was driving me crazy. I saw the one you were talking about and yes they are the same, although mine looks to be in a little better shape, I just wish I had the original tail piece. I was also told that it is a kind of rare guitar so that would explain why we have'nt seen many. Ok then I appreciate the help. If anyone wants it all you gotta do is holler.
bamafatz

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts