[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1970 or 71 Harptone Pioneer P6-N Acoustic Guitar

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1970 or 71 Harptone Pioneer P6-N Acoustic Guitar

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by rick4404 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am

Is anyone able to place an estimated value on this guitar? It is in good condition - some nicks and marks from having been played. Otherwise, it is in solid condition. Please respond to this forum or epjorve@aol.com.
rick4404

by VintAxe » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Hey Rick, I can tell you what the Blue Book says.

850 to 1,000 in Excellent condition
500 to 600 in Average condition

Hope this helps.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Spud1950 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:27 pm

Pretty obscure brand, but from what info I gathered, very well made and fine sounding guitars. They were designed for Harptone by Sam Koontz, a very well respected luthier.

"Koontz designed some large flat-top acoustic and archtop electrics, and some basses, for Standel. These were manufactured in the Harptone factory in Brooklyn, a company best known for its guitar cases, but which had made guitars on and off beginning in the 1920s. The Koontz models are easily recognizable by their architectural headstocks with a big circle cutout at the top. Reportedly, only a few hundred of these Standels were ever produced. Following the end of the Standel-brand, Koontz continued making archtops and flat-tops for Harptone, basically the same guitars carrying their brand name. These were made until the mid '70s, when the trade name passed to the Diamond S company, which also owned Micro-Frets."

Here's some Harptone pics for those who are interested.Nice looking instruments.

Spud1950

by rick4404 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 pm

I found the guitar in the 1970 and 1971 catalogs. The serial number on my guitar is 2109-10. The model name is "Pioneer", which is a 16-inch guitar body. Does anyone know if there is a registry where you can look up what year the serial number correponds to?

It is still, this many years later, a great sounding instrument. Thanks for providing the estimated value. I'm guessing that my guitar is in average condition - it's got scratches from being played.
rick4404

by Sparkysparks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:42 pm

The Pioneer was a late model in the Harptone lineup. It differs from the older Eagle and Lark in the construction of the back. The eagle and Lark had a single piece mahogany laminate back pressed into a mold to give it a violin shape. This also increased the strength of the guitar and did away with the need of back braces. Ah Sam. You brilliant Bastard. The Pioneer had a traditional split back with braces. Now I've never heard on so I will assume it has a brighter sound. ie more treble, less base. This would be opposite the Eagle and lark with are known for there rich lower end and subtle high end. Which makes a wonderful acoustic jazz tone.

In regards to a serial number registry. I'm collecting detailed photos showing current conduction and serial numbers of any Standel/ Harptone, Harptone and Yamiki series 800 guitars which Harptone made and exported in the last couple of years of production. The record of serial numbers was lost when Standel went out of business and when Harptone sold their interest the Sturgill family who also bought Microfrets of Maryland and moved operations to Independence, Virginia, under the name of The New River Music Company.
Please message me if you wish to add yours to my list.
Sparkysparks

by rick4404 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Hello Sparkysparks,

Please add my instrument to the registry. I will snap some photos and post them when I am able. I just pulled it out of the case, and even though I haven't touched it for many months, it only needed a few minor adjustments and it was tuned up. Amazing instrument.

I looked inside the instrument, and the back is made of one piece with no ribs. I seem to recall that one of the reasons I bought this instrument long ago was I liked its tenor voice. It still has a sweet soprano sound, but it really sings on the lower strings.

Again, my SN is 2109-10. Mine looks something like the one in the JPG posted (third listing, guitar on the left) shape-wise, but I have simple ivory buttons on the fingerboard. None of the big fancy rectangular blocks. I definitely have the big cutout in the head, however. With the short body, it would look disproportional without the extension of the neck.

Best regards.
rick4404

by Sparkysparks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 am

I've come across a Pioneer with the Standel headstock. Looks like Harptone was making them from the very beginning. 1967.
Standel E6-N
Standel E12-N
Standel E12-SB
Standel 400=S
Standel L12-S
Harptone E6-SB
Guild F212
Drodro Square neck
Gibson C-O
Fender Music Master guitar (sold)
Rhapsody Soprano Ukulele
Sparkysparks