[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Gretsch Dorado 5986

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Gretsch Dorado 5986

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by BuckeyB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:46 pm

A friend of mine recently gave me his old guitar and I was wondering if anyone could give me some history of this guitar and possibly what it would be worth. It is a Gretsch Dorado 5986 with a serial number 85. It says on the label that it was distributed by Gretsch. It is in real great shape and I most likely will keep it regardless of what it's worth. I think that this one was imported from Japan by Gretsch so my guess is that it's not worth too much anyway. But a history lesson would be appreciated. Thanks.
BuckeyB

by VintAxe » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:55 am

Hi BuckeyB.

Dorado was a brand name used by Gretsch when they were briefly owned by Baldwin Piano and Organ Company in the 1970's. As you suggest, the guitars were imported from Japan.

The Blue Book doesn't distinguish between models, only suggesting that acoustics in excellent condition are valued between $175-225 and $110-140 for guitars in average condition.

I think you'll occasionally see people asking more for these guitars due to their association with Gretsch, but they are just intermediate grade Japanese import guitars from the 70's. The US must have imported a forest of Japanese acoustics during this period, I know I got mine.

Not bad for a gift 8)
VintAxe
Site Admin

by BuckeyB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks VintAxe for the history on this acoustic. I really appreciate it.
BuckeyB

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts