The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

PC on a 'frankenstein' fender.

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Not Steve » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:26 pm

This interests me, here's a link to the craigslist ad,
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ms ... 03108.html
Looks nice to me, probably depends on how it sounds more than anything else though...
what does he mean by 'buckle rash'? I know, I know, I'm a noobie...
Not Steve

by Spud1950 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:15 pm

If that body is from a Fender product,it's from a Squier,not a made in USA Fender. The fact that it's made of agathis and the body routs indicate an inexpensive ,Asian made product. Also,the sunburst paint pattern is not what you would find on a US made Fender. As for the neck, I suspect that it too is a Squier, with an aftermarket Fender decal added when it was refinished. A lot of the older Squier Strats had the large 70s headstock.Without seeing the electronics to be able to determine what they came off of and what quality they may be,mainly the pickups,I wouldn't even pay $200 for it.You can buy used Squiers and other similar import Strat type for less then that. To infer that a guitar like this would sell for $1000 is ridiculous. To me, this ad throws up a lot of red flags.

"Buckle rash" is a term meaning that there are scratches on the back of the guitar,as being done by rubbing on ones belt buckle. He must be referring to the tremolo rout cover plate on the back of the body.
Spud1950

by Not Steve » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Thanks, I'll try to keep an eye out for products like this then!
Not Steve

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts