[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - Silvertone 'amp in case' guitar+amp.

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

Silvertone 'amp in case' guitar+amp.

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Not Steve » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:43 pm

Hey, I've seen a few of these on ebay and I was wondering what is a fair price for them, and if they are even worth having (as far as use goes.) I'm looking at one on ebay that is the case by itself. Here is the listing;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Silvertone-Guitar-A ... 35a447323a
any help would be great, thanks guys!
Not Steve

by Michael Ambrose » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:53 pm

Congratulations.

Now you've got competition.

hahahaha!...

Seriously though... Good price. Watch it jump.

The 1448's are okay. Not great, but okay. I build slightly modified clones of these, and I'll play some small rooms with my original 1448 case. People get a kick out of it... I pull the guitar out, stand up the case, plug it in, and stick a mic in front of it. It confuses the hell out of people. hahaha...

I actually have a re-capped (original, not clones) 1448 pushing a 4ohm 15" right now, and doing a surprisingly good job of it!

It 1457's are what you really want, though. 5 watts with tremolo.
Michael Ambrose

by Not Steve » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 am

Not Steve

by Michael Ambrose » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:31 am

Michael Ambrose

by Not Steve » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Not Steve

by jeng3000 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Vintage Guitar Price Guide says that the amp-in-a-case models should fetch $450 to $900 depending on which models. Funny thing, they don't even mention the most desirable model, the 1457. Sometimes I have to wonder if these price guide people have ulterior motives. ;)

I can tell you I bought mine for $400 locally through Craigslist. I talked him down from $450 because there was no footswitch, original cords, the pre-amp tubes needed to be replaced, and the headstock had the tuner wing busted and repaired. This is the 3rd of these kinds of guitars (with the "paddle" headstock of the 1448, 1457) that I've seen over the last 10 years that had a busted headstock just like this. I'm not sure what kind of wood is used, but the holes for the tuners must be a weak spot on the neck and they tend to break off right along the holes... almost like a perforated stamp. My headstock was repaired by re-gluing the wing with 3 screws through the side into the "meat" of the headstock. I probably would have done a less "auto shop" and a little more elegant fix but alas it is what it is and it does the job.

I'm seeing people on eBay TRYING to get $800 for the 1457 but people just aren't buying them for that price.

The folks trying to get $800 for the lesser models like the 1448 I feel even more sorry for. They problem bought them for the maximum price to begin with.

The only way you can get some value from the amp-in-the-case model is if you've had it since you were a kid or can nab one for super cheap. The peak demand for these Silvertones is over, if you ask me.

But then again, Christmas is coming up... ;)

Regarding actual playing/ownership value... they're fun. Luckily mine has excellent action. I have a Danelectro U2 reissue and it basically sounds very similar. I mean, they're the same pickup, even the same distance apart practically, and probably the same body cavity architecture (even though the shape is different). The Silvertone does sound a bit more twangy with less sustain. Definitely a more vintage sound, more punchy.

The amp itself sounds kind of muddy, even with a sweet Amperex 12AX7 in position 1. The tremolo sounds good. You don't get tremolo with the 1448. Also, the 1448 is a 6" speaker while the 1457 is an 8" if I'm not mistaken.
--Jeff Engel
jeng3000

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts