[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - '58 LP reissue?

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

'58 LP reissue?

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by PostQ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:36 am

I'm looking to purchase this guitar and trying to determine if it's an original or reissue and settle on a value...I'm thinking reissue from '89 or 99.

Any help is much appreciated.

PostQ

by johnnyb » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:06 pm

well looking at the blue book value of an original 58 lp being between $240,000-$420,000. its probably a reissue. which year it is i cant tell for sure. im sure the serial # will tell.
johnnyb

by VintAxe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Hey PostQ.

Indeed you have a Les Paul Classic reissue. The number 8 indicates the model, so yours is a 1958 reissue. The second number is year of production, so yours was made in 1999 and the last 3 digits are the instrument production number, so you have the 120th produced that year.

Here is the serialization reference I used:

Determining exactly what you have is difficult due to the discoloration of your photo, it's hard to tell what finish is on the guitar. I'm also not sure whether you have a Classic, a Classic Plus or a Classic Premium Plus. The difference is in the quality of wood used for the top.

I shopped for one of these for a couple of years and discovered "lower grade" tops sometimes matched better than the Plus and Premium Plus models so I would use my eyes rather than Gibson's grading system. I watched eBay and prices generally ranged between $1,500 and $2,500 for these instruments. The Blue Book offers the same price range for guitars in Excellent Plus condition.

Yours appears to have a pretty decent ribbon top on it and seems fairly well matched although the glare from the flash prevents close inspection. I suspect it will probably fetch between $1,800 and $2,200 depending on the actual finish of the guitar and any damage it may have incurred over the years.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by PostQ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:43 am

Thanks!!!!
PostQ

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts