[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 193X Epiphone Masterbilt Zenith (#5279)

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

193X Epiphone Masterbilt Zenith (#5279)

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by Patman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Merry Christmas to everyone at VintAxe!

We've recently dusted off my grandfather's old archtop guitar, an Epiphone Zenith Masterbilt. He bought it used for about $20 back in 1935, and could tell it had been used professionally before that due to the extent of the fret wear. When my father began playing guitar in a band, he had installed an aftermarket magnetic pickup in the neck position, and attached the volume/tone knobs on the lower front portion of the body. The output is a 1/8" jack.

At present, there is a crack on the top and the metal tailpiece is nearly torn off, thus the bridge is laying down because of the loose strings. I don't dare to tighten the strings, because of the risk of it breaking, so I've left it alone. The G string tuner cracked at some point in time, and it appears as if my grandfather fixed it with glue and twine. As far as I know, all parts are original (except for the pickup, of course). The finish isn't perfect; not by a long shot, but it's still there. The original label inside is still intact, and the numbers 5279 are pressed into the wood next to it.

My question is:
To a collector, what's it worth, if anything?
Is it worth fixing for resale? If not, is it worth fixing to make it playable again, and how much would such repairs cost? I'm guessing new frets, new tailpiece holder, maybe filling in the crack on the top.

Any input would be great. Thanks!
Patman

by VintAxe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi Patman.

The Blue Book values your Zenith between $1,000-$1,300 in Excellent condition and $500-$700 in Average condition.

The crack in the tuner button is not a big deal for a guitar of this age nor is the crack in the top. These issues can be fixed easily and fairly inexpensively. A fret job is also not a big deal.

Hopefully, the crack in the tailpiece can be welded and repaired; if not, it can be replaced with a similar part.

In my opinion, the instrument is clearly worth restoring, especially since you don't have any money already invested in it as it sits. I'm not really sure how the added pickup will influence the value, that piece of the puzzle probably depends on the attitude of the buyer and whether they want the guitar as a collectible or a player.

I would put the guitar into the hands of a luthier accustom to working on antique instruments and get their recommendation on how to proceed.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Patman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:33 pm

VintAxe,
Thanks for the insight. I think it'd be a really cool instrument to restore and have around, but I'm always wary about changing out any original parts for different parts for fear of reducing any potential value.
Patman

by VintAxe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:39 pm

I think you are right to be cautious, that's why I believe you need to choose your luthier carefully. A luthier can probably estimate the cost of repair based on detailed photos but there's always the possibility of a surprise once they get the instrument in their hands.

Ideally you'll find someone you trust to work on the guitar in PR, if not, you may need to pack it and send it to the States.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by Patman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Forgot to mention; We're visiting my father's family in Connecticut, so it's in a nice, dry climate.
Patman

by VintAxe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:55 pm

That's probably why it only has one crack in the top :wink:

If you're in the Northeast, you'll find a competent luthier. The nearest luthier I know personally in the region is Scott Freilich in Buffalo NY. You might still need to ship it but I would trust him with anything I own. He runs Top Shelf music and can be contacted here:
VintAxe
Site Admin

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts