[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - 1978 les paul cutom

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

1978 les paul cutom

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by kinn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:20 am

Hello, all,
I've had this guitar for maybe 20 years and have never been very happy with it. I'm thinking about selling it, and from internet research I've narrowed down the value to $1500 - $3000 lol. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Here are the details:
78 les paul, i think its a custom or custom pro.
dings and scratches throughout.
buckle rash on back.
someone before me replaced the tuners with grovers.
i'm pretty sure the white pickup is a dimarzio, but don't know the year.
the finish on the front is full of little fractures kind of like spiderweb.
knobs, bridge, and truss cover are not original.
pickguard is missing.
there are a couple dented frets, but still playable.

Here are the pictures:

Thanks for the help,
kinn

*edit: fixed an image error
kinn

by VintAxe » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi kinn.

It's likely much of the variability you are seeing in prices is due to condition. According to the Blue Book, $3,000 would be the value of a Mint condition example. Similarly, $1,500 would be the value of an Excellent + (80%) example. Your instrument is closer to the Excellent + category.
VintAxe
Site Admin

by kinn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:37 pm

thanks for the reply, ya its kind of beat up, and pices are missing, but i'm also wondering if i should keep it for my own and modify it, or kiss it goodbye and maybe get a good amp and guitar trade from some local dealer. its a hard decision to make. any advice is good!
kinn

by Spud1950 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Sorry,but I've got to disagree. Given the not so great cosmetic condition and the non original parts, I hardly think this guitar rates anywhere near an excellent +. Good conditon at the most. I doubt if a knowlegable buyer would be willing pay much over $1000 for it. As far as trading it in on something else, a dealer is going to offer far less then you can sell it for.
Spud1950

by kinn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:44 pm

kinn

by kinn » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:49 pm

kinn

by ejs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:14 am

ejs

by kinn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:54 pm

kinn

by VintAxe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:32 am

VintAxe
Site Admin