[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The VintAxe Guitar Forum • View topic - circa 1940 Silvertone archtop

The VintAxe Guitar Forum

A Place for Vintage Guitar Enthusiasts to Pursue their Passion

circa 1940 Silvertone archtop

Post here if you need help determining the value of a guitar you own or want to buy

Moderators: cheepaxes, VintAxe, Phizix

by tman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Hello, I wanted to make an offer on this silvertone guitar, but have no idea what they are or how much they are worth. The owner says it from the 1940's and all he can find in the sound hole is L4. From the research that I've found, it's looked exactly like an Silvertone Aritocrat but it's an acoustic, not electric. Please help with any information and value.
Thanks
Tman

tman

by Spud1950 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:37 am

Wow,what a cool guitar!It's not 1940's,it's 1950s. I found it in the 1955 Sears/Silvertone catalog in the Vintaxe collection. Exact same guitar. It's listed as model K0674L, "Our Best Spanish Arched Guitar".Original cost was $59.50. Definitely a Kay made guitar. For the 1950s,the collection only has the 1950,1955,1957 and 1958 editions.It doesn't appear in the 1950 edition and it's not in the 1957 edition,so dating it to the early to mid 1950's seems pretty accurate. Value wise, I can only tell you is that I've seen a lot of similar 1950's Kay branded guitars sell for around $300-$350. The Silvertone version might go a little higher because of the cool celluloid overlay on the peg head with the classic Silvertone crest. People really like the look of those,and the crest on the pick guard. Has he given you any idea of what he's looking to get for it?
Spud1950

by tman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:44 am

tman

by tman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:16 pm

I've contacted the man who sell the guitar, he said, he had it appraised for $700 and looking for $500. Is there any silvertone acoustic guitar that valued that high, in any era?

Tman
tman

by Spud1950 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Showing me an actual appraisal certificate from a recognized and respected expert such as George Gruhn is the only way I'd believe that. $700 is dreaming, $500 is a stretch. I wouldn't pay more then $400, but someone who absolutely must have it might bite. Like I said,other then the Silvertone specific cosmetic touches,it's no different then similar Kay models you can find in the same nice condition for $300-$350, sometimes even less.
Spud1950

by ighut » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 pm

I agree totally. It would have to play and sound like anything but a Silvertone to be worth anywhere near that to me.
ighut

by NOMR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Very nice guitar ;)
NOMR

Return to What is My Guitar Worth?

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts